How to get more grip going up and down steep hills

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #61  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Another thing ROX, is that most tractors are at their limit on a 20 degree slope
That is for going across a slope. Going up and down is in the 30s. Having said that, you can go quite a bit more than 30, if you know the land and your comfortable with the tractor.
)</font>
Thanks Jerry, you're right, but I see curves in that hill that might get it going a little too sideways. We've only seen part of it too, so Rox, not having any experience, might just have a problem. Is that reasonable? John

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #62  
Yes, John. I just didn't want her to panic, when she sees that it is over 20 degrees, when 30 is safe going up and down.

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #63  
rox,
My citrus orchard in on very steep Sand hills. I pull a 1500lt spray vat up them on a regular basis. I have a 50hp daedong 4WD. To get up thee hills i have water in my tyres front and back, I run my tyre pressure at about 12psi in front and back I also have a FEl which i also 1/2 fill with dirt to gain more traction. And at the steepest points i engage the diff lock. My advice would be to let your tyres down till they bulge at the walls, add as much weight as you can to the tractor. The more weight the better, if it is a w4d drive load the front with heaps

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #64  
In all fairness we don’t know what angle is too much for Rox’s tractor. I agree the angles mentioned are right for US standards on compact tractors and plenty steep for me. In Rox’s case she has a specialty tractor made for vineyard use and working in mountain areas. Its ability to work in steep conditions is the main advertising point on Goldoni’s web site. I suspect that her tractor will handle the slopes much better than most of ours.

The tractor is low profile and weighs 4000 lbs with 50 hp. That combined with 4 wheel drive, differential lock and possibly the optional front differential lock makes for a lot of weight close to the ground with plenty of power to pull it. I really think the best advice is to spend some time with a Goldoni dealer that can explain how to use the tractor properly in the local conditions. Keep in mind that this area has terraced fields everywhere that are worked routinely. The equipment used has been developed for those conditions.

In Rox's first post she says that when trying the hill in question that the tires spin but the tractor will not go up hill. On the estimated 36 degree slope with hard packed surface my little tractor would go up hill even if I didn't like it. I am betting the tractor is not in 4 wheel drive given its weight, center of gravity and power.

MarkV

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #65  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In Rox's first post she says that when trying the hill in question that the tires spin but the tractor will not go up hill. On the estimated 36 degree slope with hard packed surface my little tractor would go up hill even if I didn't like it. I am betting the tractor is not in 4 wheel drive given its weight, center of gravity and power.
)</font>
All good points Mark. You're right, the tractor is made more for the terrain, and the helper probably didn't know how to use it thus the 3 rollovers! John

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #66  
Actually, that's a 36 percent slope, not 36 degrees. That works out to a 21 degree slope. Using your measurements of 25 ft of travel with 9 ft of rise, you take the sine of 9/25 to get 21 deg. (Sorry, I'm an engineer.) From what others are posting about your tractor it looks as if it's still within its safe limits. BTW, are you from the South? You used "ya'll" in one of your posts. Please let us know how it works out. This board is a great resource - plenty of experience from people willing to help, and nobody cares if you're new at it!

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #67  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This board is a great resource - plenty of experience from people willing to help, and nobody cares if you're new at it! )</font>
Just want to welcome you to TBN. I hope you'll always find help here too. John

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #68  
Under certain qualifying conditions I've safely and easily climbed slopes in excess of 45 degrees with a Kubota B8200 w. FEL and box scraper. Assuming low gear, diff locked, facing DOWN the hill, 4WD engaged, that tractor should have enough traction to climb that hill.
But if nothing else works and traction is indeed the limiting factor for you I would suggest that something like an old chain link fence (you said you have stuff lying around) or similar be laid down on the steep problem sections of the slope and fastened to the ground using multiple pegs set into the ground (slanting uphill). Steel bars bent into a "U" shape, like uneven-legged staples, and driven in would suffice.
You might want to try this first on a small section of the slope to confirm that it works.
You probably have figured it out that the danger from rollover is much more severe if you get the tractor in a position of being "across" the slope. ie. you always want to be facing in an up/down-slope orientation. So you wouldn't want to be in what is known as a "split mu" situation where one wheel has traction (such as on the fence) and the other doesn't, because you'll sart to yaw and shift across the slope. Engaging the rear differential lock reduces the tendency for yaw.
Hope this helps. Bon chance!
- Brian.