How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling
i would also try building a cheap, three or four legged perch out of 2x4s that would hold up the sheet a couple of inches from the ceiling. slide the board up on the perch, then use a simple floor jack and a t-bar our of 2x4s to hold one end up firmly. go to the other end and use your hand to press that end into place and put in a few screws. go to the other end and screw it in. lower jack. move scaffolding to next location. finish screwing board in place. repeat.

just out of curiosity, what does osb have to do with insulating a garage? doesn't the insulation just staple up between the rafters? and if you want it finished, isn't drywall cheaper? or how about foam board with a reflective coating on the down facing side? much lighter than osb and adds even more insulation. just curious....

amp

Using OSB to sheet the roof in prep of blowing in insulation. I decided not to strap it instead just poly and sheet. Once complete I will blow in the r40 insulation (15")

OSB is quite a bit cheaper then drywall, we have a local OSB plant (LP). I think it was 7bux a sheet for 7/16. 'Finishing' OSB is quite a bit cheaper for me too since I would have to hire someone to mud and tape drywall. We are planning to stain the OSB since then there is no need to prime and cuts down on paint costs.

As you can tell im trying to do this on the cheap since its the cost of the insulation is really high in my part or the world.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling
Make up either one or two of these.

Place the piece of OSB on the ceiling in the right spot (requires two hands and the top of your head -- lean the "T" against your ladder in easy reach), wedge the "T" between the OSB and the floor with the top of the "T" about in the center of the OSB. The long dimension of the 2x4 is not critical, a couple inches longer than the distance from floor to ceiling and you can wedge it in place.

Move your ladder to one edge and start to screw it in place.

I have always been able to do it with only one, but I can see how a second one would allow fine placement after the sheet is roughed into place.

I would put drywall up instead of OSB, less cost and more fire resistant, especially in a garage. Check your building code (just call the building department) you may need 5/8" drywall for fire resistance.

Thanks that is basically what I am doing that this point. Don't need fire guard until 2009. OSB is cheaper for me right now...

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #13  
I used an engine hoist with a 2X4 T attached to the arm to balance the sheetrock. It has the appropriate range of motion, and I could do it by myself(although I am a big guy with long arms).

Chris

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #14  
in my neck of the woods(centrall Illinois), if you put in drywall in the ceiling, you will need to maintain heat in the building with drywall in the ceiling or over a few years, the drywall will draw mositure and start to droom and eventually fall from all the excess water weight, you won't have that issue with osb. please don't ask how i know:mad:

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #15  
I bought a drywall lift. I dont use it very often but when I did or do use it, I could not imagine working without it. I am suprised at that cost for renting one also. You might check out some other rental stores and see what they charge. Also you might check to see if you rent one on saturday if you get to keep it until Monday for a one day price. The rental equipment stores around here do that.

You guys that are advocating sheet rock might want to check out the price of sheet rock lately. I went to get sheet rock for my new garage and took one look at the price of the sheet rock and went to buy 1/2 osb. When I bought mine a couple of years ago the OSB was something like 2.00 a sheet cheaper.