How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft?

/ How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft? #1  

Zebrafive

Tractor
John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415
I found a used Bush Hog 3710. Looking on Bush Hog's website it says there is an optional drive that allows up to 80 degree turns. Std drive is also CV, not sure how tight of turns it allows. Anyone know how to determine which drive it has? Or how to ID the 80 degree drive?

/ How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft? #2  
Every 80 degree CV I have seen has a floating center plate. Every 3715 or 2715 I have ever seen had this style driveline. There are probably some out there with a two shaft, 3 U-Joint Cardan driveline, but not many. You can look up the parts breakdowns on Bush Hog's website and get an idea of what is offered.

/ How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft?
What is a floating center plate? I did look at Bush Hog's parts catalog for the 3710 and I could not see what the differences were. There were many main drive lines shown. I did see an optional pillow block bearing for the main drive, but it did not state which driver it was for. All the drives appear to be double u-joint at the hookup end. What degree is the std drive rated?

/ How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft? #4  
All the CV drivelines listed for the 3710 are 80 degree CV's. Some are not described as such. The diagrams for the Comer / EG shafts show the center plate housing, reference #4 better than the Bondioli diagrams. The jackshaft is only used with the conventional driveshafts it is grouped with, and is not used with CV drivelines. The inclusion of the jackshaft with the conventional driveshafts is the tipoff that it is not used with the CV drivelines. Off the top of my head I'll say the conventional drive is rated at or near 35 degrees.

Last edited:
   / How to ID 80 degree CV drive shaft?
Thanks Rick. I'll take another look at the parts catalog. I know the 3710 is just a 3715 minus one wing. Just want to know what to look for if I go see this cutter.