how to identify between soft maple and hard maple logs?

/ how to identify between soft maple and hard maple logs? #51  
Anyone recommend a good book for identifying tree species?

Check with your state department of forestry (or similar). Here in VA, they put out a nice booklet that was inexpensive and very helpful. It's got a couple different ways to cross-check and cross-reference a species. I keep a copy with my logging equipment, a copy at my desk, and have a couple others scattered around. Very helpful for certain times of year when all you have to go on might be bark and branch structure.

/ how to identify between soft maple and hard maple logs? #52  
Anyone recommend a good book for identifying tree species?

The Peterson series http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/ is always worthwhile. I also have a couple books covering local trees put out by the state forest service, as suggested by a couple other posters.
The book that I carry when venturing into other areas (I know what a cucumber is, but what the heck is a cucumber tree? :confused:)has some very nice color pictures.
Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region: NATIONAL AUDUBON SOCIETY: 9780394507606: Amazon.com: Books

/ how to identify between soft maple and hard maple logs? #53  
Coals for the morning - I load up the stove full on a bed of coals, close the stove up and turn the draft in the pipe to 1/4. The stove runs cool for a couple hours as the wood turns to coals. Then it starts putting out the heat for hours. Toasty warm in the morning. And there is a good bed of coals for the day's wood.
If you do this- make sure the fire catches before you head off to sleep! Nothing worse than a cold stove, cold house while you are trying to re-light a fire!
---and my favorite fall back- douse the crumpled paper, the kindling, dead coals and new wood with cooking oil before lighting it. The cold wood and paper acts as a wick as the oil burns. The heat from the burning coil gets the temp up- making it easier for the wood to catch. The safety police advise against this- but often I have been stuck without kindling, just paper and logs - and the paper is limited! Don't use anything more combustible for the oil or you could be in a world of hurt!