How to improve leaf vacuums???

/ How to improve leaf vacuums???
I know this may sound stupid but to me a leaf vac is simply a giant vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaners have attachments like this one. If they made one, say, 5ft wide for a 6" or 8" hose, put two wheels on the end...imagine how well it would suck up leaves.
To me although the mower chops up leaves it also blows them around...this wouldn't do that.
2023_10_31_19.36.29.jpg

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #12  
Something else that occurred to me too, was my vac seems to do better picking up leaves running the mower deck slower, like about 1/2 throttle or less on my Cub Cadet I have dedicated to it. Like matching the amount of leaves going out, vs. the volume the vac is able to handle. Mine has a 5" hose and plenty of suction. I have to really watch as my neighbor piles part of the leaves on his stone driveway. The vac has no problem picking up #57 Limestone if I get too close to the surface.

Basically, slow your ground speed, plus mower deck speed reducing output, to match the vacs volume it can take in.

I also use mown grass for mulch in the garden. I will purposely let it go a couple weeks, or just before the Bluegrass goes to seed and it can be pretty heavy. The vac has no problem picking up dried grass at higher rpms. But even then, I only run about 3/4 throttle and faster ground speed, as it doesn't take a lot of power like mowing. Those twigs that drop off Walnut trees in the Fall cause more issues than anything as there are so many in a small area.

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #13  
DJ54, thanks for the idea. I tried letting the tractor idle to slow the mower deck, while I ran the Cyclone Rake blower at full throttle. It did a much better job of picking up the leaves from the concrete drive. Looks like it's going to save me a lot of time.

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #14  
Have you ever watched the vacuum truck cleaning a parking lot? They don't just vacuum the dirt. The exhaust is directed back under the truck so it's a combination of blowing and sucking. This isn't going to help with the mower deck, but maybe a tow behind pickup might work better?

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #15  
Yep - same with my trac-vac 580 and Ferris 52" zero turn - leaves blow out the front - so lower to half throttle or less and that works best for hard surfaces or bare grass areas.

I had the Travvac on my cub cadet GT with 48" deck and it was fine for that lower volume of air - but the Ferris with gator blades pushes a lot of air volume.

I also blow the leaves off the driveway first. Also mulching/mowing the leaves into windrows reduces the volume by half or more, means less dumping, and can pack in 2x the leaves.

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #16  
I have a unit that used to be a Woods Vac. I had to convert it to a RHS discharge for my Deere 48" & 72" decks. Couple of things I altered:

8" hose, chute, and 'blower' input.
6.5 hp Higher power Honda motor: no throttle, just 'On' or 'Off'.
More exhaust ports on the trailer. The air flow must get out as quickly as it get in. Otherwise the airstream chokes.
Deck height increased because the masses of leaves, branches, walnuts, dog poop, and dog toys has to be able to get under the deck. There's plenty of suction.

On a side note, I once accidently ran over some glowing ashes from a former burn pile. Entire load caught the sparks and it turned into a leaf combustor as well as a leaf storage box. Fortunately, its all metal. Looked like a steam locomotive climbing a hill out West ! I probably should add a rear view mirror...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 50
   / How to improve leaf vacuums??? #17  
That would be a sight to see a flaming/smoking box of leaves - can only imagine what that looked like with all that air flow.

For mods to my trac-vac
- replaced 6" hose with 7" hose and new flange on blower increased the airflow a lot
- replaced the 1/4" mesh on top of cart with a 1/2" expanded flattened metal mesh that allows more airflow and less clogging up with leaves
- Modified an agrifab plastic boot for better airflow and mounting

When I get it out this weekend I take some pics

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #18  
waste of high cost diesel or gas Fuddy. I let them blow down the road and forget about them. Don't even own a vacuum and don't want one either and we have a ton of trees, mostly oaks and like I said, all the leaves make their own trip.. down the road. No intervention from me at all. Wind still blows free las time I checked. Too bad other 'blows' cost money and your other half don't count in that either.

We all know about that don't we????

/ How to improve leaf vacuums???
I have open sheds and leaves make a mess if I don't get them up. I dump them and the big pile makes great compost.

/ How to improve leaf vacuums??? #20  
DJ54, thanks for the idea. I tried letting the tractor idle to slow the mower deck, while I ran the Cyclone Rake blower at full throttle. It did a much better job of picking up the leaves from the concrete drive. Looks like it's going to save me a lot of time.
Good to hear..!! I should have said slow ground speed, plus reduce mower deck speed to give the Vac time to take in the volume of leaves being directed into it.

I also misstated about the hose size on mine. It is 6" instead of 5". Found that out when I went to replace the worn remote hose on mine. I ordered a new 5" going by one of 3 Agri-Fab online parts manuals. Should have measured but didn't. Duct tape to the rescue until the new one gets here supposedly on Monday.

I did an online search using the OEM part number. Many suppliers site said it was N/A, or on backorder. Much to my surprise Tractor Supply had one in stock and for less than other places, plus free shipping to store via UPS. Got a notice it would be here in 4 days, on Monday. It must be coming via their Mule Train Division, as it was shipped from Indianapolis, IN to Central Ohio which is 4 hours apart when driving. At least I found one, and it's on it's way.

I've got quite a pile going on here. I use them to mulch around set plants in the garden to suppress weeds. Works very well..!! Between a buddy of mine working temporarily for a lawn service picking up leaves and gathering from 2 neighbors I've got quite a stockpile for next year. The pile has grown about 1/3 more in size since this picture was taken, and more coming in today. One man's trash, is another man's treasure...

Attachments

• DSC01713.JPG
    DSC01713.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 48