how to install barb wire fencing?

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #31  
Solid H corners, H Brace every 300', Pull with the Golden Rod Fence Stretcher every 300', NEVER pull the bottom wire first, if you have built any amount of fence on a ranch you know why .... always set your end corners at a 5 degree line slope away from the pull.

Say what you want ... I have built miles of 5 strand barb wire fence ... only a novice would pull the bottom strand first !!!

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #32  
Say what you want ... I have built miles of 5 strand barb wire fence ... only a novice would pull the bottom strand first !!!

If pulling the bottom wire first and top wire last creates a saggy bottom wire, your end bracing is not strong enough, your soil is too loose, post not deep enough, etc. If the post doesn't lean, top and bottom wires remain tight regardless of which order they were stretched.

Perhaps this is a regional issue where soil conditions make bracing more of a challenge. Around here, a $5000 Beltec with carbide teeth is the only thing that will dig fence post holes. If I'm driving them with my Shave HD8, I have to predrill the holes with a rock drill. Getting our posts in the ground is a challenge, but they don't budge one bit.

Also, everyone please understand the difference in barb wire and high tensile fencing. The latter is not as forgiving when it comes to staying tight as it has less stretch.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #33  
I'm not talking about the wires sagging ... if you pull the bottom wire first you will fight each wire you pull with the already installed lower one. Alot of time will be spent walking back and forth to get the wire above the already done one.

CORNERS are the most important, some I even drop a bag of quick crete in .. The most amazing fence tool I have is the golden rod fence stretcher ...

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #34  
Okay, that makes sense. I've had people tell me if you stretch from the bottom up, it will loosen the bottom wires which is not true if your bracing is good and strong.

The other day, I saw a fence being built that had all the wires stretched and tied at the ends but not lifted and tied in place at the t-posts. It was a long fence so the wires weren't going to get off the ground just by tightening. Still, it must have been a mess to untangle as they put the t-post clips on.

Can you post a picture of your golden rod stretcher? I think I have one that I use for fence repairs.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #35  
When I build barbed wire fence, after the corners are in I tighten a wire on the ground between them temporarily for a guide for putting in posts lined up and then I put in the line posts and then I put that ground wire up to start hanging wire at the top. Gravity won't make the next wire catch on wire already hung above it and it seems good to set the height of the top wire first instead of the height of the bottom wire first.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #36  
hello

i do this and .. I put in the line posts and then I put that ground wire up to start hanging wire at the top. Gravity won't make the next..that would be finished.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #37  
Here's a Golden Rod stretcher.

Dutton-Lainson Company - Since 1886

Golden Rod improved its jaws over ten years ago by making them curved instead of straight. Buy only a genuine Golden Rod! Don't buy a look-alike of a different color! I use Model 400s. I have an old Model 405 with the slow release, but I don't usually need slow release and it slows me down. The Model 415 with extra hand is a fairly new offering by Golden Rod. I don't feel I need to buy one when I have more than one stretcher, but a Model 415 could come in handy when attaching wire to a corner. A come-along with wire-holding attachment may be better for that job, but I get by with Golden Rods.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #38  
Okay, that makes sense. I've had people tell me if you stretch from the bottom up, it will loosen the bottom wires which is not true if your bracing is good and strong.

The other day, I saw a fence being built that had all the wires stretched and tied at the ends but not lifted and tied in place at the t-posts. It was a long fence so the wires weren't going to get off the ground just by tightening. Still, it must have been a mess to untangle as they put the t-post clips on.

Can you post a picture of your golden rod stretcher? I think I have one that I use for fence repairs.

Sometimes on a long pull you will have to set a t-post to keep the spacing on the wires, I set the t-post every three steps or about 9-10 foot ... my neighbor carries a 10' piece of PVC so all his are the same spacing. He also does 7 strands of wire ??

Someone already did the picture of the Golden Rod ... THE BEST BY FAR ... I also like the fact it can be used to pull two together after a line wire breaks, from a fell tree or a bull fight.

/ how to install barb wire fencing? #39  
I have a couple of those fence stretchers. Not sure if they are Golden Rod or cheap nockoffs though. I'll have to go look. I pretty much just use them for reparing fences these days. For new builds, I use a a come-a-long modified for fence building. I removed the grab hook on one end and replaced it with a short 1/4" high grade chain to wrap around the post.