? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #11  
I agree with BuickAndDeere above and than some... Using pole wire which is Not explicitly designed for direct burial is a real NO NO.... Only electrical power wire which is made for direct burial usage such as with a UF ... USE insulation rating can be used in this application.. The U designation indicating underground use.... It appears also from your initial question that the barn wiring installation is not using the required four wire cable with separate ground and neutral conductors.... All sub-feed circuits from the power supply panel to sub-panels must have an isolated neutral return conductor which is NOT connected to the bare ground wires and the metal chassis's of the electrical panels at either end.... There are numerous electrical on line sites and forums which clearly explain the provisions of this section of the National Electrical and Fire Code.... Generally, the only place that the bare ground and neutral wires are Bonded together to the metal chassis is at the utilities service meter enclosure.... And further grounded as BuickAndDeere had indicated above.... The local electrical code inspector can also place additional restrictions.... If your main service panel currently does not have separated neutral, (white), wires from the bare ground lines you should think about having your panels upgraded.... Isolated neutral bar kits are readily available... And all electrical work should be certified by an electrical inspector.... One final note.... GFI fault outlets are required wherever a person has access to an outlet while standing on a concrete floor or ground such as in a barn scenario.... These GFI ground fault interrupters can either be installed within the electrical panel as branch circuit breakers or a the point of use GFI outlets.... You indicated that you are using heavy equipment such as a welder in the out building... Therefore,, percent of voltage drop caused by the wire resistance of conductors can be a factor.... Again,, there are numerous on line charts indicating the safe amperage of electrical conductors for both aerial and in ground use.... Remember that the amount of circuit resistance for all wiring is calculated at twice the distance of the actual wire/cable length.... And generally, no circuit should have a percentage of voltage drop greater than 4 to 5 percent... I would strongly suggest to consult with a local licensed electrician and/or electrical inspector before proceeding.... Safety First.... Good Luck...

West1

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #12  
Pipe joint compound in conjunction with electrical tape works...
My water pipe electrical line has been spliced together this way for over 20 years...
And it is still working...

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #13  
I also agree with PTW3320 and TCARTWRI comments above....

West1

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #14  
and with re-reading docrockys first message, I believe he knows that there are several ways of finding a remedy. up to and including retrenching all new stuff. furthering that with - a professional installation,, but his comment is to make do with what he has. right or wrong he is going to pick from a list of options, some that he hadn't thought about, which is his intent for this post.

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #15  
and with re-reading docrockys first message, I believe he knows that there are several ways of finding a remedy. up to and including retrenching all new stuff. furthering that with - a professional installation,, but his comment is to make do with what he has. right or wrong he is going to pick from a list of options, some that he hadn't thought about, which is his intent for this post.

And this is a fine example how equipment gets smashed, ruined, damaged and people injured, maimed or killed.

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #16  
Home depot sells a splice kit that's identical to the grainger kit but includes a second heat shrink tube that's longer than the first. The effect is to double seal the splice.
I had to use one on a battery cable when it wasn't feasible to replace the entire unit. Both heat shrink tubes shrunk up tight and looked great. Your experience my vary for underground use though.

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #17  
The biggest problem is going to be how to get ALL the moisture out from between the strands of the old wire. Aluminium just won't last if its wet.

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #18  
The biggest problem is going to be how to get ALL the moisture out from between the strands of the old wire. Aluminium just won't last if its wet.

Hmm... Why do they build boats out of it then?

/ ? How to insulate/waterproof repaired underground power lines #19  
joshuabardwell said:
Hmm... Why do they build boats out of it then?

Boats don't have 200+ volts AC potential between the hull and the water.