How to justify buying a little piece of property?

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #1  

needmoredirt

Silver Member
Tractor
L2501HST4WD, BadBoy ZT, JD 125, JKU Rubicon
Not sure where to post this, I'll try here.

10AC came up as a potential purchase, it's connected to where I live.

Love to have it, the cost is an astronomical @ $35K per.

I'm scrounging about how to get it to subsidize/justify the cost.

Not a place for food plot, cattle seems the only answer (might have a good cattle tank - no bets) . Initial research shows that wouldn't scratch the cost surface, market is poor (even for an experienced cattle rancher, let alone a nOOB - IDK)?

Thoughts, suggestions welcome and encouraged.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #2  

Not a place for food plot, cattle seems the only answer (might have a good cattle tank - no bets) . Initial research shows that wouldn't scratch the cost surface, market is poor (even for an experienced cattle rancher, let alone a nOOB - IDK)?

If that's the going rate for land in that area, keep in mind they aren't making anymore of it. You could plant it in hardwoods and leave it in your will to someone. :) The only reason I have more than an acre is to keep people away from me :)

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #3  

How much personal enjoyment could you buy for $350,000 doing something else?

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #4  
Good grief. That's some expensive land. And no oil or mineral rights.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #5  
And here I though 40ac next to me was way too much at 70K for all.... rough land, rocks and steep terrain with just bit of flat on 2 ridges. 300' of elevation change 3 times when crossing property east to west. Few good trees, but plenty of deer.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #6  
If it's adjoining your place it sure would be nice.
Is that the price of open land in TX? Or would this be what a small "developer" would pay to chop it up in 3-4 building lots?

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #7  
Here's how it went for me. 10ac adjacent to me came up for sale soon after I bought this place in 2000. It was $90k for rolling hill clear fenced land. Unfortunately we could not swing it. 17 yrs later it came up for sale again without improvements and sold for $600k

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #8  
I guess it depends on how bad you want the land for your piece of mind to not have neighbors or a small development built next to you.

10 years ago I wanted to buy 4 acres next to me. Property in my rural area at the time was selling for 3-5K per acre. However, the catch, on this property only 1 acre is usable. The rest is DEC wetland. Owner wanted 15K. I said no way was I paying that for 1 acre. If I could have used all 4 I'd have bought it. Owner didn't have any takers and couldn't sell. He ended up giving land to his sister who built a house on it.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #9  
I have a long standing offer to my neighbor for her 8 acre cotton/peanut field. As farmland it’s probably worth $3-4,000/acre. I’d probably plant long leaf pines on it. I just want it to increase my buffer zone to the east and prevent close or undesirable neighbors.

/ How to justify buying a little piece of property? #10  
I have a long standing offer/first in line to buy the 5 next to me. It's clear rolling hills. I mow it for the absentee owner who comes out every 2-3 yrs to admire it. They bought it in 1990. Unfortunately the buildable section is closest to me so I would love the additional buffer zone.