How to Kill yellow jackets?

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #31  
How close are you to a 110v source? If close, a large bug zapper will sizzle every one of them in short order. I have done it for revenge after accidentally bumping their nest/ hole in the ground by pampas grass.

JJ i purchased a bug zapper today and tried this. i set the zapper right on the hole and ran...they came out in full force; swarmed and attacked the zapper BUT on the outside only.:confused: they don't seem to going into the zapper - just attacking the outside and will not "go to the light".:mad:

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #32  
Like Skyco I trap the queens in the spring, as soon as the temps get reliably into the 70's. Got about 25 this year; it was a slow year. I usually get about 50. We had very few queens on our firewood last winter, so I don't think they reproduced well last year.

It was early August before I saw a single worker.

The key to trapping is the right location. If the trap isn't trapping, move the trap. One location gets about 9% of all the queens I catch and it has been that way for 15 years.

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #33  
We had trouble with ground bees at my dads place I found you legally cant kill them.
But if you have grubbs and and try and kill the grubs and loose a few bees in the process so be it :laughing:

So look at using grubex to control the grub's and see if you get any fringe benefits:thumbsup:

tom

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #34  
Call in the turkeys:) I was using a walk behind brush mower and ran over a YJ nest. Got stung a bunch on the legs, shut the machine off and ran to the house. After tending my stings and having a cold drink I went out to find a flock of turkeys having lunch on YJs.

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #35  
I found them under some lumber and weeds. I moved the lumber and then ran over the weeds where the nest hole was and stayed put for a few minutes with the riding mower. They didn't survive the blades. Not a single one after that. If it is real messy - try a bush hog!

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #36  
I found 2 nests of yellow jackets around the house this year. One in the back yard and just found one today in the front yard. One stung me on the wrist today. I had pulled some bushes out of the ground and filled in the areas with new dirt. While I was tamping the dirt with a hand tamper, BAM! one got me. I was working about 5 foot away from the nest, not knowing it was there until the tamping pi$$ed them off. Took care of the nest this evening with some gasoline.

The initial sting isn't to bad, but man as time goes on the swelling and redness gets intense. The little buggers pack a punch.

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #37  
JJ i purchased a bug zapper today and tried this. i set the zapper right on the hole and ran...they came out in full force; swarmed and attacked the zapper BUT on the outside only.:confused: they don't seem to going into the zapper - just attacking the outside and will not "go to the light".:mad:

JJ, et al.: - i never thought I'd quote myself but I want to say my prior post was wrong. at first (for about two hours) i witnessed (from some distance) the bees swarming around the zapper and it did not appear they were going in to get zapped. however, i went back the next morning and examined the zapper and was filled with bees! and i went up to the hole and found about 50 more dead on the ground around the hole. i sprayed right into the hole for good measure and i have not seen one bee since. long story short...using a zapper over a yellow jacket's hole is a clean, easy, effective way to win the battle. many thanks JJ...:thumbsup:

/ How to Kill yellow jackets?
they are gone but still have a red mark on my hand where they got me. Looks like a blood blister

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #39  
"I say we nuke them from orbit...it's the only way to be sure." :D

/ How to Kill yellow jackets? #40  
I have had great success using a product called "Spectracide" wasp and hornet killer from Home Depot. It comes in a black and white spray can. Doesn't cost too much and the can allows you to stand 20' to 30' away from the hole.

I always have at least one can handy. One can will wipe out two normal size yellow jacket nests.

john