How to make and use a PHD goal post rack

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #1  

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610 ■YANMAR GURU■ EXTRAORDINAIRE
This wasn't my original design, I have seen a few similar like this PHD mount.

The design is called, The PHD goal post rack.

You will need

• 3X wooden posts
  • 2X 8-inch lag bolts

Modify 1X wooden post to have 8-inch flats on each side. Recall Lincoln Logs with those similar flats as a kid?
Once those flats are made, lay the beam on the ground where you want the PHD rack to be located. Keep in mind the ability to back up to this PHD rack and for space behind it for the PHD to rest.

OK, so the notch beam is where you want it. Now with a shovel or by hand post-hole-digger tool, dig where these posts are based on the beam's flat spots.
For the 8FT beams, I went down 24-inches.

Place a post in the holes, fill the hole then with crush-and-run gravel. I didn't do concrete, just in case I have to move it AGAIN. lol

Once both posts are in, take the horizontal beam across the two posts. Keep the flats down.
Drill the holes centered thru the horizontal beam and into the posts.
Take off the beam, drill even deeper into the two upright posts.

Put the lag bolts into the horizontal beam.

Test to ensure the beam fits and seats well on the two posts.

Take beam off.

Then back in the tractor with the PHD.
Center the PHD elbow bend where the beam would be.
Raise the tractor 3PT.
Place the beam under the PHD elbow and onto the two posts.
The 2 lag bolts should drop into their holes.
Lower the 3PT and rest the PHD on the beam.
Disconnect the PHD from the tractor and then drive away.

For the PTO shaft and end coupling, place atop an up-side-down 5-gallon bucket. (not shown.)

This PHD goal post rack also makes i easy to make repairs and to grease the fittings and check the gearbox oil.

1704418865106.png

1704418880066.png

1704418896295.png

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #2  
Much easier and cheaper than that is to hang it from a tree limb or something. When I had a 3PT PHD it hung by a rope and chain fall from the trusses of my equipment shed. My hydraulic SS FEL mounted one is pretty awkward too. I've thought about hanging it but I keep it on a pallet.

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack
Much easier and cheaper than that is to hang it from a tree limb or something. When I had a 3PT PHD it hung by a rope and chain fall from the trusses of my equipment shed. My hydraulic SS FEL mounted one is pretty awkward too. I've thought about hanging it but I keep it on a pallet.
No tree limbs strong enough nor bigger than 2-inch. So, I built the SOMETHING. :)

I have seen these dangling from a truss before. And the farmer having this setup, constantly cursed at the thing when he had to mount it or take it off. It was a pain to do. In fact, it is now my PHD as he gave it to me. The reason why I sought a better method. :)

The goal post rack has no need to even touch the PHD other than taking off the pins to the tractor. The heavy lifting is the horizontal beam. Oh, it could of been made narrower, but I would then need to use the weed-eater instead of using the push mower. Narrower would allow the horizontal beam to be less on weight.

With a tree limb, you got to play with the tractor to navigate the PHD to hook onto the limb. And once you unhook it, you got to push the PHD further by hand to the trunk. Then just hope no bees nor wasp nest is in the tree or even a birds nest.

Working smarter and not harder in ones senior years keeps life going without aches and pains. (y)

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #4  
That's the idea for sure. It's why I own a hydraulic one now. I bought my Danuser for 500 bucks and sold ot for 600 on a farm equipment auction a few weeks ago.

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #5  
What I do. Welded an old 'U shaped U bolt clamp to the top of the PH digger, added a chain and a hook and hang it in a tree limb.

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #6  
I've tried a few different ways to store my post hole digger and I like hanging it from a chain the best. It gives me a little movement when attaching it, I can swing it out of the way when I mow the grass, and it's out of the way when I don't need it.

001 (2).JPG

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #7  
I've tried a few different ways to store my post hole digger and I like hanging it from a chain the best. It gives me a little movement when attaching it, I can swing it out of the way when I mow the grass, and it's out of the way when I don't need it.

View attachment 842756
Nice. I built a tripod from some locust poles and a boat trailer winch, works well:

Attachments

• Hung.jpg
    Hung.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 52
   / How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #8  
My PHD came with a loop on the boom. I scabbed up a holder from scrap metal. Hanging, it's easy to hook up to tractor since the weight is held by the frame. Chain is only to keep the PHD out of the dirt. Frame is easy to move in the shed too.

IMG_1619.JPG

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack

View attachment 842756
I like the side hook for the PTO shaft. Thanks, I'll add it to mine. :)

Yes, I can swing mine too, just not so far and not too fast. ;)

/ How to make and use a PHD goal post rack #10  
I know most of the new ones have support legs, but mine didn't so I added a couple. Simple and I can set it down anywhere. Yeah I should've set it on some pavers or a piece of plywood but I forgot. Maybe next year. Easy enough to hook back up, getting the end of the boom lined up to the top link pin bracket is the hardest part.
Photo Sep 01 2023, 1 58 51 PM.jpg