How to mount a bucket-mounted hay spear

/ How to mount a bucket-mounted hay spear #1  

Matt in TN

Poor planning as usual, but I have to move hay tomorrow before the rain comes in, so I bought a bucket-mounted hay spear at TSC last night (Tractor Supply Company - CountyLine Penetrator Bucket Spike)

I assume this mounts on the bottom of the bucket, with the large spike on top (smaller spikes below)? This seems the most likely, but my bucket has a rounded inside surface and it won't lay flat. Needing something to work for now, I drilled through the rounded surface (maybe 1/8" steel) and straight through to the reinforced flat bottom of the bucket (about 3/8" steel). I plan to put a 3/4" dia. by 8" long bolt through all of that and snug it down as much as possible, hoping the shear and bending forces aren't too much for it. I only need to load and unload 10 round bales tomorrow, so as long as it works for that it'll do for now.

Anybody got any better ideas, or am I looking at this backwards/upside down?

Long term I plan to use the spikes off this little thing and make a frame as a replacement for my bucket, but I just don't have time to get that made before I need it this spring.

/ How to mount a bucket-mounted hay spear #2  
If I could I'd mount it to the top of the bucket. Here's the reasoning if you mount it to the top then you can use the bottom of the bucket to assist in picking up the bales. This is how I did my first bale spear. It worked ok but my bucket wasn't heavy enough and even with some large pig-iron angle bracing I was still bending the bucket. My second attempt was to do what you're thing of and making a frame to mount the spear on. I did this out of 3" 3/16 box. Picked up the hooks and pins from my JD dealer.

/ How to mount a bucket-mounted hay spear
I thought the same thing - but between the 1.5" square tube running along the top edge of the bucket and the 1/8" sheetmetal it would anchor to, I don't think this is possible here.

I'll be testing my mount tonight - hopefully she'll hold for ten bales!