How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #1  

JulianKo

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1240
So I paid big buck to buy the only MF 1217 backhoe I could find, because that is the stock backhoe made for my tractor (MF1240).

And what a surprise... Something does not match and I cannot mount it.. I need help from someone who has this backhoe on a 1240.

The backhoe manual suggests that the backhoe attaches to the tractor via two brackets in the rear (not clear to me where and how those brackets should attach to the tractor) and two front mounts (my tractor has those front mounts).

However the backhoe came with some additional frame pieces attached to the brackets. After playing with it and comparing to the manual, I am starting to think that those additional pieces are not necessary in my case (probably the backhoe came from a different tractor, but we don't know what). MF1217 subframe 1.jpg
On picture 1 you can see the backhoe subframe, the brackets and the additional framing attached to the brackets...
MF1217 subframe 2.jpg

On picture 2 I removed the additional framing. Should I leave it out? It is showing just the brackets, but they seem offset and don't seem to match my tractor

On picture 3 I am showing the brackets under the tractor rear axle as the backhoe subrfare lays centered under the tractor. See how the brackets are not centered under the axle bolts. How and where should those brackets mount?
MF1217 subframe 3.jpg

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #2  
You've got the right idea, but possibly the wrong brackets... They do replace the lower 4-bolt bracket under the axle. Perhaps someone put them on the wrong side of the arms... (Try the swapping the brackets left/right, that'll move the 4-bolt patter farther outboard...)

That additonal framing looks to have braced between the rear brackets/axle and the front loader crossmember. Not a bad plan, if you can duplicate.

My 1455 came with the front brackets for a BH installed. Dealer must have taken the BH off to sell it, and accidentally left those brackets on it... They're just two plates hanging down.

If you go to the AGCO parts book and look up the backhoe, you can get a good picture of what the mount kit for your tractor would have looked like... Since you have no idea what tractor the hoe was mounted to, you'll just have to compare pictures... You may still be able to order the axle brackets, as well as the front stuff if it makes life easier.

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #3  
Hmm. On further looking, it appears you have the axle brackets from the 14xx series... But they're on the wrong sides. The square cut side goes outboard. Swap them and that may take care of the width issue and you'll only have to deal with mounting the front.

I don't see those "additional framing" bars in any of the mount kits that show up for the 1175 BH. I suppose it's possible someone added them to adapt it to another tractor or beef up the mounting.

If the axle brackets don't end up working, I'll buy them off you... I'll probably end up making my own subframe for a backhoe sooner or later, since you bought the only 1475 out there... :)

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240
Thank you for clearing this up.

First it was very important to learn that the additional bracing between the rear brackets/axle and the front loader crossmember is not part of the original setup, so I don't need to wrestle with it.. A good idea it may be, I can try to fit it later, but for now I don't need it.

Second - it looks like I have the wrong brackets for the tractor. They are offset. No matter how I swap them, the mount points are never straight under the bolts on the rear axle. They are also taller than the ones listed in the AGCO book.. The AGCO book for 1217 BACKHOE shows different brackets - much more simpler and centered.

So the question now becomes where do I find those brackets.
1077865M91 Mounting Asy - RH Axle
1077866M91 Mounting Asy - LH Axle

Google cannot find any. I am starting calling dealers, but if anyone has any info, please let me know.

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #5  
I just bought parts through Jack's Small Engines, here in the states. Jack's shows both p/n's to be ~$88 US each. Your MF dealer should be able to get them with no problems.

Did you notice that the long rails have different p/n's for the 1125/1240 than for the rest?? Probably close enough to work, but you may have to massage the front mounts a bit, or live with the BH slightly out of place compared to where it should be... ??

I also find it odd that the front mount tabs aren't shown in any of the kits but the one for my tractor... And it shows two different styles. Are the mount tabs that the front attaches to already present on your tractor?

My local MF dealer ordered the brackets for me, I should have them in about 10 days. they are CAN$125 each - slightly more than in the US.

No, I had not noticed that the long rails were different... I noticed now, but I can't tell the difference. They look the same on the drawing. The mounting brackets also have different p/n. I am afraid that the size or the location of the pins on the rails may be different, so one rail works only with the matching bracket only on the matching tractor... I wonder how can I tell which rails do I have...

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #7  
Mount the brackets, mount the rails, and see where that puts the BH. I bet it'll be fine, and the difference is that some tractors mount it higher or lower based on tire size... So your hoe may be a tad high, considering your tractor has the larger tires, I think... No big deal, and better for clearance under the back with the hoe mounted. :)

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #8  
So what DO the rails pin into on the front of your tractor? I assume it's something present on all 1240's, since whatever it is, it's not shown in the mount kit...
??

The tractor has openings where the rails pin into. I have not seen other 1240s, but I would think all have this, it looks integral part of the tractor. I don't have a picture, but here is a picture from the backhoe manual, mine looks exactly the same. Would be so nice if someone who has 1240 with the 1217 backhoe mounted posts pictures of the setup...
Front.jpg

/ How to mount a MF 1217 backhoe on a MF 1240 #10  
Cool, thanks! My tractor has add-on brackets that basically serve the same function.