How to move a bridge?

/ How to move a bridge?
The bridge was originally over a county road. It was too narrow to support 2 lanes comfortably and after the county got a road grant, they removed all the old bridges. The bridge was removed from the county road in the last 10 years. One very similar to this has been moved to a local park to be used as a foot bridge over a creek that feeds a small lake.

As far as emergency vehicles go, the location where we're building the house is so incredibly remote that emergency vehicles are going to have a difficult time even finding the location, much less getting down the shared private road that leads to the property. There is a culvert over a creek down at the bottom of the hill that is basically an old oil tanker with the ends cut off then cover over with dirt. I would guess it is significantly weaker than this bridge.

/ How to move a bridge? #22  
A 12' wide bridge would not afford 2 lane traffic for much of any vehicle other than motor cycles and bicycles. Inferior weight capacity was no doubt an issue too. So you aren't concerned with emergency vehicle accessibility, even though with GPS, finding you should not be a problem, but response times might still be long. Are you panning on insuring this house? I'm pretty sure the insurance company would be interested if in fact a fire truck can't get to your house. How about construction material loads. Concrete, sheetrock, shingles, etc. All pretty heavy loads. Most bridges like that, that I remember, had load ratings of 6 or 8 tons at best, if they were in good condition. And that one isn't. Sounds like you have already made your decision. Please consult an engineer first.

Kim

/ How to move a bridge?
Well, as for emergency services in our area, the local volunteer fire department can't afford GPS equipment, and when the neighbors on the same private road called the sheriff to report a theft, the deputy drove around for three days and couldn't find their house.

As for construction materials, there is another way for them to reach the site, at least until we allow the lake to fill up. Our insurance agents pretty much accept that when you build a house in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, the point is probably moot right now. Looks like it's going to be easier to just gravel the spillway and hope the lake doesn't overflow too often. Unless weather patterns seriously change an overflow will probably be a once a decade event anyway.

And as the spill way is, emergency vehicles still won't be able to cross due to the terrain. Probably going to have to trade the car for something 4 wheel drive.

/ How to move a bridge? #24  
I have to say that I agree with others here. Get a PE to look it over first. Unless the prices is ~scrap price, I'd pass without the approval/certfication of a PE.

And if everything checks out, I'd dissassemble for moving.

/ How to move a bridge? #25  
.....besides, if you lose a bunch of money on the deal, do you really want to go through life having to say;" Someone sold me a bridge for cheap"?

:D

/ How to move a bridge? #26  
Better call your insurance guy. Might not insure against fire if the trucks cant get to the house..

/ How to move a bridge? #27  
Better call your insurance guy. Might not insure against fire if the trucks cant get to the house..

He already said they can't find his property anyway. Fire department too poor to buy GPS. Maybe I should send them my old Garmin hand held.

Kim

/ How to move a bridge? #28  
I couldn't agree more in having a PE giving his blessing, and checking on the insurance issue. You haven't said where you are located but here is a thought if you do decide to move it. If you live in natural gas well country contact one of the contractors that move the drilling rigs. Those trucks are setup just for this sort of thing. Most have 120k lb winches mounted behind the cab of the tractor, they pull 40ft float trailers that have a big roller mounted on the back of the trailer. They run the winch cable back across the trailer and hook to the load, then winch the load up over the roller and on to the trailer. Very quick, 5 min to load, bind it down and on the road. Going rate for a truck like that around here is around $80/hr.

/ How to move a bridge? #29  
Iam guessing the bottom of the bridge is going to be 4-5 feet from the ground?? Anyway, you could poor a cement pillar in the middle and add about 50% capicity to your overall rating, If you do it your self, Pretty simple, a cardboard tube , rerod and a couple yards of crete, oh yea, and a cross member to set on top of the pillar, It wouldnt cost much, I look at this project as more about landscaping,.. Rather than, What would be the cheapest way to cross the creek, so to speek, Good Luck, Eric

/ How to move a bridge? #30  
Just put it up on 9' posts and sign it for 8'4". Some Swift driver will be along shortly to move it for you.