How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires?

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #11  
James,

Further research is showing that your chart is correct/in accordance with my WWF MSDS researching.

Interesting. I am not sure I ever put much thought into WWF freeze point before. Maybe in the Northeast everyone stocks only products that won't freeze. It looks like you can buy WWF rated at 32F, 20F, 0, -20F and -50F if you really start looking.

My #1 is Rim Guard, assuming I can locate a 55 gallon drum and a dealer that will sell just the Rim Guard itself.

ac

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #12  
James,

That is what confuses me. WWF rated to -20F carry MSDS showing only 7% methanol.

ac

That is confusing: buy a gallon and put some in your freezer, most are at around 0 F. and see if it stays liquid.. You gotta wonder about marketing claims vs engineering charts. I don't know.. I have seen at least 3 mixes of WW fluid. some at +32 some at 0 and some at -20

James K0UA

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #13  
Consult the chart and maybe around 22 degrees F.

James K0UA

I roughly got around 20F in my calculations and figured I'd be ok with that since the Bota sleeps in the garage. Glad to me my math wasn't my own creation, thanks.

I considered Rimguard but the only dealer is 2 hours away.

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #14  
I roughly got around 20F in my calculations and figured I'd be ok with that since the Bota sleeps in the garage. Glad to me my math wasn't my own creation, thanks.

I considered Rimguard but the only dealer is 2 hours away.

Same problem I had, or I would have Rimguard in now, I could not find a dealer anywhere close.

James K0UA

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #15  
Been reading along, because I still need to fill my tires. I never considered "cutting" the RV anti-freeze with water. Our temps just go too low for me to take any chances, I guess. We have -30 with some regularity.

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #16  
I found a steal on RV anti freeze at wally world today. I bought all they had which amounted to 9 gallons. After looking up my tires on my B the should take 21 gallons each. they are R4's 12-16.5. I thought i may have to find more of this stuff so i called around other wally worlds in my area and they do have more stock but its not as good of a price. :(

so heres my question im trying to figure out how much i can dilute the RVantifreeze? Im thinking the tractor will not see anything below 0 even if i do take it to PA. My primary uses are here in NC.

can anyone help me? maybe im just tired and can try and figure the formula out in the morning after a cup of coffee.

thanks

Well lets see: here is the freeze chart for Propylene Glycol. The stuff I used is rated at -50deg straight out of the bottle. So according to the chart that is about 55 percent Propylene Glycol by weight. since it weighs about the same as water I think we can discount the weight vs by volume when diluted by water. So to calculate you 10 Gallon fill using 2.5 gallons of PG vs 7.5 gallons of water. so you diluted the solution by 33 percent. So if you started with a 55 percent so, .33X55 = 18.3 percent solution now. Consult the chart and maybe around 22 degrees F. Give or take some accuracy errors here. I put in 24 gallons of PG and 1 Gallon of water so 24/25=.94 and then .94X55=52.8 percent solution, consult chart: maybe wound up with -33 Degrees F. I may be thinking wrong here, perhaps someone else could check the math, But I am thinking you dont want to dilute the out of the bottle stuff much.

James K0UA

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #17  
I found a steal on RV anti freeze at wally world today. I bought all they had which amounted to 9 gallons. After looking up my tires on my B the should take 21 gallons each. they are R4's 12-16.5. I thought i may have to find more of this stuff so i called around other wally worlds in my area and they do have more stock but its not as good of a price. :(

so heres my question im trying to figure out how much i can dilute the RVantifreeze? Im thinking the tractor will not see anything below 0 even if i do take it to PA. My primary uses are here in NC.

can anyone help me? maybe im just tired and can try and figure the formula out in the morning after a cup of coffee.

thanks

Doing this in my head you need about 30 gallons of the PG and you could get by with about 12 gallons of water for your 42 gallons total.. so about 6 gallons of water in each tire and 15 gallons of PG in each tire, assuming the PG is the -50 degree stuff or about 55 percent by weight. remember this is an in my head calculation, but I think it it pretty close. your 9 gallons is a nice start, now go buy 21 more:)

James K0UA

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #18  
well morning is here and so is the coffee.. I want some where around 20- teens of protection from freezing.
i also think the tires only take 20 gal

here was my math it might be wrong though

the tires take 20 gal not 21 i was looking at the wrong tires size.
if i use 7 gal of PG and 13gal of water. = .53 solution

.53x55=29.15

then looking at the chart this would place me some where in the single digits of protectiong.

any thoughts?

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #19  
well morning is here and so is the coffee.. I want some where around 20- teens of protection from freezing.
i also think the tires only take 20 gal

here was my math it might be wrong though

the tires take 20 gal not 21 i was looking at the wrong tires size.
if i use 7 gal of PG and 13gal of water. = .53 solution

.53x55=29.15

then looking at the chart this would place me some where in the single digits of protectiong.

any thoughts?

Ok look at it this way. you are starting off with a 55 percent solution, according to the chart by weight, and it is slightly lighter than water. so lets just call it a 50% solution to make it easy.. so the store bought mix is 1/2 water and 1/2 PG. so you pour 1 gallon of this mix in a bucket an then you pour in 1 gallon of water.. Now you have 3 parts water and 1 part PG.. so you are down to a 25% solution of PG which according to the chart. gets you somewhere in the "teens".

So if you bought 10 gallons for each tire and mixed it with 10 gallons for each tire of water. You would get close to where you want to be in the "teens" Maybe around 15degrees F. I would err on the side of more PG and put 11 PG and 9 water. When I did mine I put 24 gal PG and 1 gal water. We can get pretty cold here. I could probably have went a little higher, but did not.

James K0UA

/ How to put liquid ballast in BX2360 tires? #20  
Ok look at it this way. you are starting off with a 55 percent solution, according to the chart by weight, and it is slightly lighter than water. so lets just call it a 50% solution to make it easy.. so the store bought mix is 1/2 water and 1/2 PG. so you pour 1 gallon of this mix in a bucket an then you pour in 1 gallon of water.. Now you have 3 parts water and 1 part PG.. so you are down to a 25% solution of PG which according to the chart. gets you somewhere in the "teens".

So if you bought 10 gallons for each tire and mixed it with 10 gallons for each tire of water. You would get close to where you want to be in the "teens" Maybe around 15degrees F. I would err on the side of more PG and put 11 PG and 9 water. When I did mine I put 24 gal PG and 1 gal water. We can get pretty cold here. I could probably have went a little higher, but did not.

James K0UA

thank you sir that clears things up after reading the label on the jug i understand now :ashamed:
well ill have to keep looking for good deals on this stuff. i only paid 1.75 a gal. :D
im going to take my receipt with me to other stores and see if they will price match. Im helping them out buying all their left over discountinued stuff why not sell it to me cheap?

thanks again