How to remove calcium from water heater

/ How to remove calcium from water heater #11  
Richard, All the "gentle" acids mentioned, like grapefruit juice, Diet Coke, even vinegar have a down side. It is simple chemistry (not rocket science). Large quantities of minerals (calcium etc.) Will take L A R G E quantities of weak acids to disolve (many gallons and a long wait, even if heated). If the tank is glass lined I would try stronger stuff, diluted (always pour acid into water never the reverse) muriatic would probably be my first choice Use protective gear, acid proof gloves, plastic apron, face shield and ventilate the area as the fumes are not healthy nor do they smell good. I would reconcile myself to the possibility of "losing " the tank before starting with stronger stuff. Heat will help. Protect the floor and have a hose connected to the drain to allow rapid removal of the solution should it become desireable due to a leak. It is not unlikely that you could open a leak which has been kept sealed by accumulated minerals. Ever use chemical flush in an OLD radiator and suddenly have multiple pinhole leaks that weren't there before?

If somehow by this or other means you clean it successfully, flush it at least twice a year.

Patrick

/ How to remove calcium from water heater
I've yet to do anything more than my simple scoop method. I'm halfway tempted to just replace the entire heater & start from scratch!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Another slant on this topic....evidently, calcium doesn't build up on PVC. I happen to have copper. Sooooooooooo, am I suceptable to have buildup on the outlet side of tank in the 3/4 copper pipe??

If so, how far does/can that build up ? All the way to upstairs faucet? 3 feet into pipe as measured from tank?

If answer is all the way to upstairs faucet, end of discussion. If it peters out several feet into length of pipe, is there any merit in replacing that section with PVC to minimize the buildup?

With the buildup I have seen, I am now aware that I will have to raise the level of education/importance of a water softener.

I just don't know what Marion will do with REAL suds however...she (being sometimes neurotic) will probably scream from the shower that her body is foaming and disolving /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Richard