How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #21  
If it has power shuttle then it has an electro hydraulic clutch period. That is what a power shuttle is. All they have done is added a shift button.

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #22  
Chh is right, the tractors with a declutch button already had an electronic over hydraulic wet main clutch so its like 1$ to add a switch for it.

The clutch pedal on those units are just connected to a variable resistor and limit switches and a spring so they aren't really hard to push anyways but it cost nothing to add the declutch button.

I've driven a few and it is ok to use. I don't think it would make or break a deal.

As for the hundreds of clutch pressings, if you don't have a high-low/dual-speed you spend all day clutching while baling. I borrowed a straight gear tractor on Sat to bale with and I got maybe 100 clutchings an hour, on a very heavy clutch. Someone with hip trouble couldn't do it I'd bet.

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #23  
EhM8 said:
Again, I am not talking about powrshift, Dynashift or IVT. I am talking about this power clutch button they've added to synchromesh transmissions. If it doesn't provide clutchless shifting - it is a button that disengages the clutch - then it is a pretty superfulous and untidy option instead of providing a true powershifting option.

Caterpillar has a similar transmission on its backhoes, IE... 420E. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not? The new hoe we have at work has this transmission. I'm still trying to get used to it.

You shift by pushing a button on the gear shift knob and then change gears. It is a power shuttle transmission. You also have the option of auto shift on the same transmission. Just flip the switch and it is fully automatic.

Solo

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #24  
If you really look at it it is impossible to sell much of anything to a lazy farmer!:D :D :D

They are usually bankrupt!:D :D :D

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers
I noticed on the UK forums, they like they declutch button. I reckon it makes the gear lever knob on the JXU look like a pineapple.

slowzuki said:
Chh is right, the tractors with a declutch button already had an electronic over hydraulic wet main clutch so its like 1$ to add a switch for it.

The clutch pedal on those units are just connected to a variable resistor and limit switches and a spring so they aren't really hard to push anyways but it cost nothing to add the declutch button.

I've driven a few and it is ok to use. I don't think it would make or break a deal.

As for the hundreds of clutch pressings, if you don't have a high-low/dual-speed you spend all day clutching while baling. I borrowed a straight gear tractor on Sat to bale with and I got maybe 100 clutchings an hour, on a very heavy clutch. Someone with hip trouble couldn't do it I'd bet.

Alright, I am wrong. Case IH hasn't been lazy and has been really clever in making their 24 speed dual speed powershift transmission as good as the competitions dynashift and 4 speed powershift transmission by adding a declutch button, which gives you huge advantages in efficiency by transferring the work of your left foot to your thumb and simplifying the whole procedure of changing gear. I believe the button doesn't shift gear, it declutches so that you can shift gear.

chh said:
If it has power shuttle then it has an electro hydraulic clutch period. That is what a power shuttle is. All they have done is added a shift button.

Last edited:
It can be quite surprising to see movie footage of farmers from the 1940s and 1950s. They were invariably lean with hardly an ounce of fat on them. These days, quite a few farmers, especially those who spend a lot of time on a tractor, do have guts on them and are rather pudgy when compared to their grandfathers. Maybe it is not to do with laziness, and I don't think we should go back to doing everying the hard way, but it is a phenomena these days in society as a general, we have all these gadgets to make our lives more comortable, remote controls for light switches and teles, ride on lawn mowers, dishwashers... and so on... and then we discover that we have to go to the gym to lose weight. If something added to a tractor gives you productivity gains so you can get home earlier to spend a bit of time on the exercise bike or play footy with the kids, it might be a good thing, but I don't see that this power clutch button is doing anything.

Egon said:
If you really look at it it is impossible to sell much of anything to a lazy farmer!:D :D :D

They are usually bankrupt!:D :D :D

Do you have to back off the throttle before you use the button, or can you change under full power? If it is the latter, then it would be useful; if it is the former, then it is probably only good for people with bad legs.

Solo said:
Caterpillar has a similar transmission on its backhoes, IE... 420E. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not? The new hoe we have at work has this transmission. I'm still trying to get used to it.

You shift by pushing a button on the gear shift knob and then change gears. It is a power shuttle transmission. You also have the option of auto shift on the same transmission. Just flip the switch and it is fully automatic.

Solo

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #29  
EhM8 said:
Do you have to back off the throttle before you use the button, or can you change under full power? If it is the latter, then it would be useful; if it is the former, then it is probably only good for people with bad legs.

Good question. I'm so used to pushing a clutch that I always push the button to change gears. I haven't tryed it under full load. I will the next time I'm in it.

Solo

/ How To Sell Tractors To Lazy Farmers #30  
I am just a weekend hobby guy and actually like having to shift my 9 x 3 TC29. You should see my calf muscles!

I am one of those lean/skinny types...6', 185lbs and hope to stay that way.
I don't like running, I don't like lifting weights and treadmills make me dizzy so working on the farm is how I stay in shape. I figure all that clutching can't hurt.