How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #21  
Yup I guess I'm wrong, I don't get how they do it, increase payload 1400 pounds going from 250 to srw 350 with just heavier springs/axles.
Yet only increasing payload another 1400 pounds with duals.

I consider the tires capacity the most critical spec, the tires/wheels are what are carrying the weight, but even though with duals your getting twice the weight capacity of the tires (4 wheels vs 2), your only getting a fraction of that for added payload/gvw :confused:
JB
On GM current models they do it by tires 2 sizes larger, among other things.
Having the 4 tires is nice for towing and heavy loads but you don't get twice the capacity since the dually tires are usually smaller than the singles on a 1-ton and with duals the axle and suspension becomes the limiting factors. Also some like to stay with singles to remain under 10,000 GVW.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #22  
Also some like to stay with singles to remain under 10,000 GVW.

That's more of a factor than some folks give consideration to until it's too late.

My state requires a commercial insurance policy over 10K#, and DOT regs kick in as well, even for a 10K# truck with no trailer. Claiming "personal use" while towing a tractor behind a dually doesn't get anyone out of the need for DOT numbers and all the crap that goes along with them.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #23  
On GM current models they do it by tires 2 sizes larger, among other things.

Larger tires or higher load rating?

The reason I mention the tires as being the critical factor is based on my own experience.
I had a 95 ram 2500 that I put a utility body on, found out that the truck empty was at gvw. I had already added a leaf to the springs so the truck didn't sag at all and since this was a diesel it had a Dana 70 rear axle, which is a one ton used in f-350's.
It came down to the load range E tires capacity, at the time there was no higher rated tire and that was the limiting factor for SRW. I guess things have changed some what with the ratings.

I kept that truck for 12 years always conscious of the limited capacity, my new truck is a dually Ram 3500 quad cab, also with utility body. There was never a question for me that I needed duals.

JB.

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #24  
As for 4x4's, I say don't get one if you don't need one! That front axle and transfer case are a lot of weight to be hauling around if you'll hardly use it.

I have a 06 F350 dually diesel. Pull some big loads and it's a great rig. I hardly ever set foot off road, and don't necessarily need the 4wd. However, the few times I have had to use it, I would have been absolutely screwed if I didn't have it. JMHO.....

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #25  
Larger tires or higher load rating?
JB.
Same Load Range, but larger size (this is for current GM models).
3500 SRW = LT265/75R16/E

2500 = LT245/75R16/E

I know when I looked to replace them the 3500 tires would run abourt $25 more each for the two sizes bigger, but it's nice having the extra capacity.

This is for the standard work truck type 16 inch tires.
I don't know about optional 17's etc.

Last edited:
   / How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #26  
I would consider a gas engine with 4.1 gearing, but only the largest displacement models. No sense buying anything less, as you will never notice any gas savings when pulling, but will notice the loss of power. Diesel ought to work well with 3.73 gearing.
But diesel will add to the purchase price and maintenance. Turbos are great for mountain/hilly driving, as you loose less power climbing. You will have trailer brakes, so not too much to add on that one.

If the truck didn't come with a trailer towing package, I would add a transmission cooler. I haven't seen a good reason for a dually for that low a towed vehicle. It is easier to tow a gooseneck trailer with a long bed, as there is more room between the cab and the hitch (sharper turns) and less compromise in where it mounts (most trailers are designed for a long bed, though they can be speced for the short bed).

/ How to spot a used 3/4 or 1T PU with enough grunt #27  
No OEM has an engine that won't pull the loads you are talking about in a 3/4 or 1 ton, they will ALL get the job done.

It seems like you want it done sooner rather than later :), like a lot of us, that's a different arguement.

If it's a diesel, chipped trucks are a BIG HUGE PROBLEM. If you decide on a used diesel, make SURE it is STOCK. I mean TOTALLY stock. In our area, the farmers use stock diesels because they don't like walking. The kids buy a diesel for noise, smoke and mudding, RUN! They sell them when the bills get so bad they can't take it any more - then it's your turn :(

All the gasoline engines are up to the task as well, obviously bigger is better but there is that issue of the gas bill. If you tow infrequently like we do, a smaller gasoline engine with GOOD maintenance and a CLEAN well cared for vehicle is more than adequate.

If we want to get there fast, well the motorcycles cover that need very well.