Snow Attachments How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains"

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #21  
I'd suggest studding the front tire's. Second would be a set of chains. Perhaps two link ladder light chains. Studded or chained four wheel drive will really help pull in direction the front tire's are pointed. You may be surprised at the difference the extra front traction will make.

On the two examples given the diamond pattern may ride rough. Durability of the other type may be questioned?? The smaller front tire's, turning a little faster, will do a lot of pulling.

Low cost red neck studding information here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/374561-studding-tires-2.html But I already have my chains.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #22  
If he takes the wheel weights off, he's still not going to be able to steer. If he puts his plow at an angle, it deflects the tractor sideways because he has no weight on the front. The only solution I see for him is to either take weight off behind the rear axle or add weight if front of the rear axle. And leverage being his friend, as far in front of the rear axle as possible. Front weights.

Personally, as a no-cost test, I'd take the backhoe off as a quick experiment. If it helps with steering, then I'd put it back on and add front weights. Cant hurt to try.

The first thing to try is to just swing the hoe all the way to one side or the other. This will both move the weight forward slightly and put more weight on one back tire. This is the lowest cost, lowest work way to see if it helps at all. I would try the left side first, since this will put more weight on the left rear which should kick the machine slightly to the right.

On my JD 110 TLB, which is a very similar machine, the same chains that fit my F-150 fit my front tires. Now these are not real fancy chains, but they increase traction substantially and were in the $90 range.

+1 on using 4WD. The fronts usually overdrive the rears and will contribute a lot to helping with steering.

IMHO non-metalic "chains" are a waste of money.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #23  
Use 4wd. Float the plow and not the loader, always.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #24  
Ok, you are all missing the point what he really needs is bigger. Bigger heavier and just plane huge. I mean massive. With chains....

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #25  
I went back to your 1st post on this. For as small of a unit you have, front tires speaking. there are numerous sets of economy chains that will work for you. Pricing should be well south of $100. They are very easy to put on as you can lift the front tires off of the ground. If you get a mild cross bar type they do not damage the road unless you spin them. You do want a set with close cross bar spacing for better turning traction. You already appear to have rear chains, so do the front. You will be amazed at the tank you have, but did not know :D
Hope this helps

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains"
If he takes the wheel weights off, he's still not going to be able to steer. If he puts his plow at an angle, it deflects the tractor sideways because he has no weight on the front. The only solution I see for him is to either take weight off behind the rear axle or add weight if front of the rear axle. And leverage being his friend, as far in front of the rear axle as possible. Front weights.

Personally, as a no-cost test, I'd take the backhoe off as a quick experiment. If it helps with steering, then I'd put it back on and add front weights. Cant hurt to try.

Backhoe has not been off in 2100 hours and 11 years. It would get too light in the rear.
Cheap chains, I expect they wont last, but if I use them just to steer and seldom in FWD, I might get through a season or two.
Amazon.com: ALEKO SCHAIN-13 Passenger Car Snow Chain, 12mm: Automotive

To guess you size, ALEKO SCH-13 Snow Chain for small vehicles

Attachments

• Front Tire Chains_L39_2 (1024x614).jpg
    Front Tire Chains_L39_2 (1024x614).jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Well the $20 crappy little Amazon Prime Chains seen to help a bit, at least plowing 8" of fairly light snow. When these wear out, I'll put on a better set in the front.

That soft Cab is a blessing, I spent 4 hours in the seat tonight plowing, and it was 5 deg. F outside with 30 mph gusts.
Once the motor and drivetrain got some heat in it, I bet it was a balmy 35 deg. F in the Cab.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #28  
Good to hear. Glad it's working for you!

Well the $20 crappy little Amazon Prime Chains seen to help a bit, at least plowing 8" of fairly light snow. When these wear out, I'll put on a better set in the front.

That soft Cab is a blessing, I spent 4 hours in the seat tonight plowing, and it was 5 deg. F outside with 30 mph gusts.
Once the motor and drivetrain got some heat in it, I bet it was a balmy 35 deg. F in the Cab.

The Amazon cheapo 9mm chains almost made it thru this storm, Using front assist is what killed them, as the wimpy chains can't take the torque on a heavy tractor. I bought the next heavier 12 mm chain, same brand, still questionable, only $4 more from Amazon.

Attachments

• New Front Chains (1280x768).jpg
    New Front Chains (1280x768).jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: