Snow Attachments How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains"

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #11  
Are you floating the loader, or just the plow?

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #12  
Why are you running it in 2wd? Run it in 4wd and the front wheels will help it steer better.

This is good advice. I would also recommend removing the backhoe and trying it - the backhoe is removing weight from the front axle, which is great when doing heavy loader work, not so much when trying to steer in the snow. If I run a heavy counterweight in the snow, it drastically reduces steering capability.

Also, if you leave the loader in float, that will tend to rock the tractor backwards, removing weight from the front.

I run front chains on mine sometimes - no rear, and no weight on the back when pushing snow. If snow is very light, float can be ok. If the snow provides decent resistance, then lift the loader a little bit, just enough to let the blade skim. Always 4wd. That's what I find works best.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains"
Are you floating the loader, or just the plow?

Depends on snow depth and situation. Generally float loader with light snow, and just plow with heavy snow. I've plowed a lot so I know what works.

Tractor works fine with plow size. L39 has way more hydraulics and weight than similar sized small tractors. I plow in 2WD as I want to save front axle. I use 4WD in tough situations, but tractor has plenty of push, heck I'd like a snow pusher box to push more. I bet I plow 1/2 acre or more, my place is huge and I do part of the neighbors. It takes 5-6 hours to plow out 10-12" typical good storm. I hate plowing, but less so with the soft cab.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #14  
I plow in 2WD as I want to save front axle.

If you can't steer because of lack of traction (slippery surface) in 2 wd, you're not saving the front axle from anything. I would understand your concerns on bare ground, but then you wouldn't have your steering issues.
Chains or studs should still help in 2 WD, so would a lot of weight in front and/or remove the hoe.
We just had a good 2' snow and I had the snowblower on for certain driveways (my first use of it). It is 8' wide and weighs right at a ton, it's also at least 6' behind the rear wheels. I could plow just about anything in 2WD, but it cost me in the steering dept. This is what I think you are seeing with your hoe attached.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #15  
I think you have overdone the weights for the rear causing the front to be too light. I would take off the rear wheel weights, maybe even the back hoe and use 4x4. Every second link chains for the front would help too, don't know much about the Kubota front axle. All my experience with snow I have always used higher air pressures in tires especially in extreme cold.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #16  
The rear wheel weights shouldn't have any effect on the front because they are unsprung weight. That is, they are not supported by the tractor at all. They are supported by the rear tires only. None of their weight is felt by the front end. None. Plus, the tractor pivots fore and aft over the rear axle.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #17  
The weight of the backhoe is counterbalancing the weight of everything forward of the rear axle. If you want more weight for traction on the front tires for better steering, you'll either have to remove the backhoe or add front weights to the tractor. Front weights would be easier, I would think, and allow more adjustment for fine tuning with ease. Just add or take away.

How can you float the plow without floating the loader? I don't understand that one.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #18  
The rear wheel weights shouldn't have any effect on the front because they are unsprung weight. That is, they are not supported by the tractor at all. They are supported by the rear tires only. None of their weight is felt by the front end. None. Plus, the tractor pivots fore and aft over the rear axle.

You are right but the wheel weights do add to the total mass of the tractor in the rear. The front being very very light does not have enough mass to allow enough friction to grip and therefore steer, it can not change the momentum gained by the rear.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #19  
I was watching the various plows dealing with our 5' of snow. Best - Deere 644 Articulating Loader with 6,000# front blade H chained all 4 #2 Deere 742CH Grader with 6,000# front blade, center plow H chained all 6, not so good new 600 series Deere, center blade only H Chained all 6- pushed sideways, the the assorted skid steers really were having problems. My EMAX 22 Mahindra did just fine.

/ How to steer a tractor with R4's on snow, Non metallic "chains" #20  
You are right but the wheel weights do add to the total mass of the tractor in the rear. The front being very very light does not have enough mass to allow enough friction to grip and therefore steer, it can not change the momentum gained by the rear.

If he takes the wheel weights off, he's still not going to be able to steer. If he puts his plow at an angle, it deflects the tractor sideways because he has no weight on the front. The only solution I see for him is to either take weight off behind the rear axle or add weight if front of the rear axle. And leverage being his friend, as far in front of the rear axle as possible. Front weights.

Personally, as a no-cost test, I'd take the backhoe off as a quick experiment. If it helps with steering, then I'd put it back on and add front weights. Cant hurt to try.