Backhoe how to store the backhoe for the long winter ?

/ how to store the backhoe for the long winter ? #1  

jimb1724

Silver Member
Tractor
ck20hst
it won't be long before winter sets in up here in NH so the backhoe will be coming off to make way for the blade and perhaps a snowthrower.

my question is how do i store the BH for the long winter ? it will be outside and covered with a tarp. do i need to do anything else, i.e. winterize the hydraulic lines .....

p.s. still haven't fixed the engine shut -off issue.... but thanks to those who replied... everything was plugged in, so we are still testing.....
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ how to store the backhoe for the long winter ? #2  
I recommend rubbing a thin coat of grease on any exposed hydrauic cylinder rods to prevent pitting or rusting.
Also flip the seat up so critters don't chew a hole in it (happened to my JD 850).

/ how to store the backhoe for the long winter ? #3  
I agree with Vince that you should coat any extended cylinder rods as they WILL rust and cause damage later when you use it again. Retract completely any that you can and coat the rest.
I personally would remove the hydraulic hoses and store them inside to keep them from freezing thawing over and over. Could help them to last longer. Just take the cover off the front of the BH and disconnect the hoses, and of course disconnect them from the tractor. Make sure you plug the ones that hook to the tractor, and cover well the ones that come off the BH controls. This is probably NOT necessary, but it's how I would do it NH weather. John