Ballast How to take off ballast box on BX2380

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #1  

Cjreich

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
I know this question is probably like asking a plumber how to turn on a faucet, but here goes. I need to take the ballast box off my kabota bx 2380 that I recently acquired. How do I do that? i am having trouble with the side arms that attach to the box. After removing the pin I can't get them to move out far enough to disconnect the box.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #2  
Probably need to loosen up the stabilizers that keep the 3pt lift arms from flopping side to side. Not sure what yours look like, but my L3200 had turnbuckles outside the arms, the L4060 has pinned bars on the outside. Vs & Bxes might have stabilizers on the inside though.

I keep my stabilizers tight all the time. I also have a Quick Hitch so never need to loosen them to remove impliments. Generally better to not let the impliments flop around though if you can help it.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #3  
Fallon is correct. There are stabilizers on each side of the lift arms. They adjust by the turnbuckles. Just loosen them a little and you should be able to remove the ballast box.

I assume you have the three point down so the ballast box is on the ground. If not, that is your problem.

After you get the box removed, run and get a quick hitch. You will be glad you did.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #4  
They are not "side arms" they are Lower Links. Use standard nomenclature so we are all on the same page.

The Ballast Box must be in contact with the ground to be dismounted. Level ground makes mounting/dismounting easier.

Even with stabilizers loose you may not be able to move the Lower Links out due to pressure from implement weight. Adjust the Top Link until the Top Link cylinder-fitting slides freely back-and-forth on the Top Link pin. Then implement pressure should be zero or near zero on on Lower Link/implement connection on one or both sides. After one side is free, the dynamic changes on uneven ground and you may need to adjust Top Link a second time. Feel free to vigorously apply a boot to spread Lower Links. You cannot damage Lower Links with a boot.

Having lubricant on all three implement pins assists mounting and dismounting implements. I use Fluid Film but lube type is not critical. In high humidity Florida Fluid Films works well as a rust preventive.

Last edited:
   / How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #5  
They are not "side arms" they are Lower Links. Use standard nomenclature so we are all on the same page.

Even with stabilizers loose you may not be able to move the Lower Links out due to pressure from implement weight. Adjust the Top Link until the Top Link cylinder slides freely back-and-forth on the Top Link pin. Then implement pressure should be zero or near zero on on Lower Link/implement connection on one or both sides. After one side is free, the dynamic changes and you may need to adjust Top Link a second time. Feel free to vigorously apply a boot to spread Lower Links. You cannot damage Lower Links with a boot.

Having lubricant on all three implement pins assists mounting and dismounting implements. I use Fluid Film but lube type is not critical. In high humidity Florida Fluid Films works well as a rust preventive.

There is no need to constantly scold people here. You were smart enough to understand what he meant. Let it go.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #6  
Wow guys! Poor OP asked an innocent newbie question and you guys go to war. Hope OP doesn't get a bad impression of TBN being that was his first post!

Granted it is nice to use proper vocabulary but one can help without it too.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #7  
I find even with the telescoping type stabilizers on the lower links are limited to swinging far enough unless you pull the adjustment pin. Find a way to quickly pull a pin so the arm is free from the stabilizer chain. That way it can swing further away from your weight box pin.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #8  
I find even with the telescoping type stabilizers on the lower links are limited to swinging far enough unless you pull the adjustment pin. Find a way to quickly pull a pin so the arm is free from the stabilizer chain. That way it can swing further away from your weight box pin.
Agreed. Make sure you have any 'load' off the connection pins. Maybe shoot some WD40 in the bushings too. Learning the pins/connections will be helpful for installing/removing implements.

Take some pics and post them if you can, and I am sure you will get more advice depending on the 3pt connection you have.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380
Thanks for your replies. They were helpful. My turnbuckles (sounds like All-star wrestling that I used to watch as a kid) are on the inside but I am guessing they work in the same manner as suggested by Fallon and ZTMAN. I did have the box on the ground so that was not the issue. I will give loosening the turnbuckles a try.

/ How to take off ballast box on BX2380 #10  
Thanks for your replies. They were helpful. My turnbuckles (sounds like All-star wrestling that I used to watch as a kid) are on the inside but I am guessing they work in the same manner as suggested by Fallon and ZTMAN. I did have the box on the ground so that was not the issue. I will give loosening the turnbuckles a try.
Before you do, look at pulling a cotter pin and try disconnecting. That way you don't have to mess with adjustment of the turnbuckles.