Buying Advice How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With?

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #1  

Stickbo

Tractor
2008 Kubota MX5100
I've got serious interest in a used tractor. The tires are loaded with a clear liquid but the salesman can't tell me for sure what it is. Is there a way too find out for certain? I don't want to end up with calcium chloride or who knows what else that could cause me grief down the road.
If there is no way to tell can whatever is in the be taken out or replaced with rim guard?

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #2  
The liquid can be drained out and the tire broken down (to ensure you have all the liquid out) and if there is a tube in it then squish most of the liquid out. Remount the tire and tube and load with RG. I wouldn't take the wheel of the tractor to do this.
I have heard that RG stinks to high heaven, where Calcium does not.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With?
The dealer had his tire guy look at it and he says it is calcium chloride but that there are tubes in the tires. Do the tubes make it ok, or would it still be best to have it changed out? I could make that a condition of sale, but I'm sure would end up bumping up the final purchase price in the end.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #4  
I have a tractor that's had calcium chloride in them now for 23 yrs. with no problem. Regardless my new tractor will get beet juice.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #5  
If the tube holds, it won't rust your rims. If it is not leaking why not just run with it.

But down the road if you notice a leak, then take care of it.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #6  
I agree with GpintheMitten. In a tube, no problem.

Ralph

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #7  
I've had calcium in my old JD for 28 years. Did it create a problem? Yes. When it was time to buy new tires, I noticed the calcium had dug a hole into one of the rims. A little weld and sanding took care of that. The rest of the rims were in good shape. The largest problems happen near the tube valve where some of the stuff can squirt out as the valve ages. I just sanded the rest of the inside of the rim, primed it with Rustoleum then coated that with Chassis Guard and then repainted over that with bridge paint. I did not expect to encounter another problem with these until after my death.
The nice thing about calcium is that you can handle it yourself if a tire needs repair or replacement and is easily pumped from one vessel to another with the right hose adapters.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #8  
I'd drain out a gallon and weigh it. In WI it's probably calcium chloride.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #9  
I just filled 2 tires with beet juice, I can almost buy rims for what that cost me. I have calcium in a couple of tractors, both old, like 53 and 67, the key is if you get a flat, break the tire down and wash the rim thoroughly. In the tube no problem, on the rim is bad. I think I would stick with the calcium.

/ How To Tell What Tires Are Loaded With? #10  
Just let a bit out on your hand and taste it. If it's calcium chloride you know. It shouldn't be a deal breaker, it's cheap, heavy and good stuff. I don't understand the fear of it. People act like it's nuclear waste? It's salt water...