how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #1  

gtrgarden1

The PTO stopped functioning on my Deere 2305 utility tractor. I'm working my way through trying to determine the cause of the problem. I've read some reports that the PTO Solenoid can "lock up" or be defective. I can access/remove the PTO Solenoid just fine, but I don't know how to test it to see if it is functioning properly. I've looked through the Deere Technical Manual for the 2305 and did not find any information about how to diagnose/test that part.
I'm hoping someone can tell me an easy way to test that PTO Solenoid.

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #2  
How many wires going to solenoid.... Might be easier to see if you are getting voltage (12 VDC) to solenoid to engage it before you go to deep into this... Have you checked fuses?

Dale

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #3  
I think there a relay(s) involved too. Since you have a tech manual can you post the PTO wiring diagram?

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #4  
I think there a relay(s) involved too. Since you have a tech manual can you post the PTO wiring diagram?

Are there safety switches involved too?

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #5  
if you dont have a wiring diagram start from the pto and go backwards. should only be two wires on it.
put a meter test leads on each one of the terminals on the wire plugging into the pto .
key on sitting in the seat flip the pto switch on. you should have 12 volts going into the pto.
if not check all the fuses. if good follow that pto plug wire back to the next connection. you may have a relay, seat switch, and a fuse to deal with.

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid
Yes, when I engage the PTO switch we're getting 12 VDC (actually about 14 V) at the connector for the PTO Solenoid.
So, I removed the Solenoid from the tractor and tried testing it by connecting directly to a 12V battery. When I do that, the Solenoid shows no signs of life... no click, no pop, no movement at all.
Looks to me like the PTO Solenoid is bad... would you agree?

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #7  
When you energize a solenoid coil without being connected to the load the coil will melt. In tje future when you test it off the unit stick a screw driver in the hole where the stem would go then energize

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid
When you energize a solenoid coil without being connected to the load the coil will melt. In tje future when you test it off the unit stick a screw driver in the hole where the stem would go then energize

I pulled the whole assembly from the tractor; so I did NOT just put voltage to the coil by itself.
I assumed that if it was functioning properly, the "stem" would make some sort of clicking noise or show some sign of movement.
But, this is new to me, so I'm hoping for input from others with more experience with these PTO Solenoids.

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #9  
If you can put a strong round magnet on the stem and slide it all the way to the bottom you should feel it pull in

/ how to test John Deere 2305 PTO Solenoid #10  

And you learned that where? The electrical load is supplied by the solenoid coil windings and is unaffected by the absence or presence of an hydraulic spool in the center of the coil.