How to top a tree safely.

/ How to top a tree safely. #11  
Hiya,

Top 15' off a 50 footer, 15' from the house? Not much room for error in that equation, sometimes the best tool for the job is a checkbook.

Tom

/ How to top a tree safely. #12  
Back when I was younger I was a professional tree surgeon and did climbing with spikes and a rope- before they had ear plugs, blade brakes, etc. etc. My tree work these days that involves climbing is done by licensed professionals that I hire and pay when the job is done. NO muss, no fuss, no danger to my 57 year old broke down, (babe magnet) body:rolleyes:
You do NOT IMHO, want to top out those pines the others that nearly hit the house are telling you (whispering pines) something.... take the rest down and plant something you like or need in their place.
Be safe- climbing trees is not for those who do not gain the training at a young age. It is NOT a do it yourself job.

/ How to top a tree safely. #13  
youll need spurs, safty belt, 2 ropes, chain saw

You have to climb the tree.

limb a 5' section or so

then double tie the cut. Once under, cut one half, then above then finish the snap cut.

But this is one of those jobs that you really have no business doing if you have to ask how to do it.

/ How to top a tree safely. #14  
If you do it, I hope you do a better job than my neighbor did. I heard a loud noise today then my electricity went off and I went outside and saw my neighbor had cut a large sycamore branch that fell on the 14,000 volt line that feeds our neighborhood and broke it. Then the branch hung up on the line wires going to the homes. Entergy told him they will send him the bill estimated to be about $500. :( It only took them about 2 hours to get our power back on. :)

Now, if he can only finish the job without hitting the lines again.

Attachments

• sycamore.jpg
    sycamore.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 436
   / How to top a tree safely. #15  
I would just cut the trees down, that's what I did.

Much easier in my book,

Joel

/ How to top a tree safely. #16  
Tree work of any kind is extremely dangerous. My inlaws used to have a neighbor that did it for extra income. He ended up loosing his leg below the knee on one jobsite. His other two "regular" jobs were as a prison guard and as some type of drill instructor in the Amy National Guard. He was one tough dude and kept doing all three jobs after the accident. Unfortunately, sometimes the accidents are fatal. This one was yesterday near me outside Rochester. Still seems better to me to let the profressional take the risks. :(

www.WHEC.com - Falling tree limb kills man in Wayne County

Last edited:
   / How to top a tree safely. #18  
If the tree is alive you can go high enough that the top will be light and can be pushed of without danger to yourself. You will need tree hooks and a belt, My belt is old and made of leather the newer ones are synthetic and will keep their strength. I have Fir and pine here. I've brought down many that way. Some trees I've had to top because of where they were. There is a tree I have my eye on that needs to be topped and brought down bit by bit but I know wifey won't let me. Let us know what you decide to do. Richard

/ How to top a tree safely. #19  
The top 15' should be a fairly light stick. On the last few I've used an electric chainsaw on the upper parts. I would worry about using a ladder, one slipped and dropped me years ago. When we were in Australia the electricians had a ladder with a chain strung about a foot from the top and hung on polls and trees nicely. You're talking about a tree thats taller then I would like to go up on a ladder.

/ How to top a tree safely. #20  
Have you heard of "rope walking"?

Reviving this thread because I'm needing to do similar AGAIN.

I read this thread shortly after I joined TBN in 2009. That year I had a "young" maple that was about 19" DBH, maybe 40' high, on my suburban property line that my friendly neighbor was concerned was going to fall on her house. We had a quote of about $750 to take it down. I climbed about 20 feet up in it above the reach of my 24' ladder, tied myself off with some 1/2" nylon rope and used my Stihl 021 and a bowsaw to get the upper branches down safely. The rest of the tree was a piece of cake

Now I've got about a dozen trees on three properties that need about the same treatment. They have limbs that need cutting off to prevent property damage before cutting and pulling them down. Unfortunately most of them are about an hour from any working arborist, thus I could expect significant "truck time costs". I've plenty of experience and equipment to get trees to lay down and did not look forward to spending $100/hr for jobs I could do. So I started to do it again. And quickly figured "There's got to be a better way to get up in a tree safely". So I started looking into climbing harnesses so I could at least tie myself safely to the trees.

Well now they have "rope walking".

and

especially this one
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It's a little investment above just the basic rope and harness that I was thinking of, but it looks well worth the cost of a new single bottom plow.

Please,don't try to do any tree work off of a ladder, if you have some experience and can climb the tree with hooks or know how to use ropes to pull yourself into the tree that would be the way to go, if not hire someone reputable to do the job. Working for the power company I can't tell you how many people I have seen hurt through the years trying to do tree work off of ladders, it's just not worth the chance of hurting or dis-abling yourself. Hope this info help's.:)
Tree work off ladders less than 6' high can be done fairly safely, if no engines or motors are involved :)
However once you get high enough so the fall will really hurt you need ropes or a bucket truck to tie you in.

The top 15' should be a fairly light stick. On the last few I've used an electric chainsaw on the upper parts. I would worry about using a ladder, one slipped and dropped me years ago. When we were in Australia the electricians had a ladder with a chain strung about a foot from the top and hung on polls and trees nicely. You're talking about a tree thats taller then I would like to go up on a ladder.

And that's another key piece to the safety puzzle. My 021 would usually start on the first pull after being warmed up. But it still required a pull. I may have posted before about my B&D 40V, 12" chainsaw but to me it's ideal for cutting when I'm 20 or 30 feet up. And it was only $120 w/ battery.

So my question is: Are there any rope walkers on TBN with pointers to the better equipment and techniques? There's a wide variety of small metal devices for ascenders and descenders and they all look overpriced, probably to fund insurance overhead for people who push it to the limits.