How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get?

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get? #12  
As a general rule of thumb, no pun intended, if you can hold your hand on it indefinitely, then the temperature is less than 140 degrees F. At or above 140 you won't be able to lay your hand on it for more than a second without feeling pain.

Your numbers aren't accurate. As a general rule you can hold your hand on metal indefinitely if it's about 112[sup]o[/sup]F and at 140[sup]o[/sup]F five seconds is about the maximum length of time the average person can endure without sustaining irreversible burn damage. 120[sup]o[/sup]F is about the maximum safe temperature to touch.

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get? #14  
I checked my Titan 10 footer when delivered and the gearboxes were filled. The dealership told me they check them before delivery but I checked anyway. Hope you get things worked out. Keep us updated on your progress.

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get? #15  
if you are really curious, go get one of the infrared temp guns at h/f they are about 25 bucks with coupon well worth their value - we used one last year on a white 105 due to hydraulic issues and pump replacement - it was running around 175 degrees at the pump after replacement and we never noticed it being that hot even before the old pump failure, it was noisy, hydraulics would stop at times on start up, it was very strange, long story short, when old pump failed it sent debris thru the system, got metal in some pressure control valve that didnt come out with the rinse/flush at the shop. After taking it back to the dealer and replacing the valve then readjusting the pressures the pump is QUIET and runs around 145 to 155 depending on how hard its being used and outside temps.

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get? #17  
I keep an I-R temp gun in each tractor, my pickup, and toolboxes. Always check wheel bearing temps when towing, hydraulics on tractor, and gearboxes. Cheap protection.

Type O grease is common in gearboxes and gear drives. At Gleaner combines, we designed a new gearbox for our corn head and tried everything possible to keep the boxes from leaking oil. We didn’t want to copy Deere even though we had tried their grease and it worked. Came down to production release and we had to follow Deere.

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get?
^ Great suggestions. Thanks.

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get?
Keep us updated on your progress.

Well... I'm not really happy with how long I've been waiting for Titan Implements to ship the new gearbox to my dealer. It's now been a month. :-(

/ How Warm Should My Cutter's Gearboxes Get? #20  
Well... I'm not really happy with how long I've been waiting for Titan Implements to ship the new gearbox to my dealer. It's now been a month. :-(

Not good, you know about the "squeaky wheel syndrome" .