how well does a BX2200 mow?

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #1  

JeffreyG

I'm thinking about the BX2200. However, the turning radius is listed as 7.5 feet. Does that mean if you are mowing you leave a 15 foot diamter circle uncut?

Riding lawn mowers typically have less than a 2 foot turning radius.

So, do any of you wish you could make tighter turns? And perhaps wish you were mowing on a riding lawn mower instead?

Thanks.

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #2  
Hi,

No, you can turn pretty tight with the BX. I am not sure how tight...never measured it. But I think it is at least as good as my little garden tractor.

Get the 60" deck. This sticks out on each side more, and when you turn the net result is that you have a smaller uncut circle...if you are testing...or cutting around a tree or something.

The BX with the hydrostatic transmission has the ability to slow to a snails pace when you want to, so it beats the heck out of what you could do with a gear driven lawn or garden tractor when you need to get close to something and turn in and out a lot.

My bx cuts better than my garden tractor ever did, but the down side is that it gets the job done so fast I have to sneak over on the neighbors property and cut it a bit to get the satisfaction I need... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif He told me he doesn't care and I can even take the grass cuttings home with me if I want... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm real happy with the grass cutting ability of the bx...but I don't have a show lawn, just a yard that is improving year by year...

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #3  
Haven\'t tried mine yet.........

I got the 54 MMM mainly for gate sizes. Figure if I re-mount it (took it off to move dirt), I'll mow from my driveway
to neighbors drive and cut both yards in less time that I used to do just mine! All that would be left is trim work.

Enjoy.

Ron

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #4  
Jeff-

The 7.5' turning radius is measured from the outside of the tractor (i.e. you need 15' to turn the tractor around). The BX2200 is about 45" wide. With a 60" MMM, the trim side of the deck sticks out a little over 10". When mowing in a counterclockwise circle, the unmowed area would be just under 6 feet in diameter.

That said, I'll take my BX22 over my Honda 4514 any day. The hydro tranny is so easy to operate, I don't ever miss the tighter turning radius of my little Honda. Plus, the 60" MMM leaves a much better cut than the Honda's. Hope this helps!

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #5  
Considering that the BX is a multifunctional tractor and not a dedicated mower it does VERY well. No---the uncut radius is just over 30 inches, the uncut circle diameter is somewhere just over 60 inches using the 60 inch deck. I did measure it and it was so long ago I forget the exact numbers but you will see for yourself. The BX is very manuverable and can turn very tight--for a tractor. Try one out, I think you will be surprised. The numbers in the brochure???--beats me where they get those. J

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #6  
Jeff:
I have a 2200 and it cuts better than the JD I traded in for it. Also, if you need to move snow around you'll find a blade, FEL, or the snowblower can't be beat.
The real downside is that you can't(shouldn't) add a backhoe but if you don't need that implement then you are golden.
Go for it!

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #7  
I have the 60" deck. It does a nice even cut, I can mow right around trees with a "base" over about 5 feet, I'm guessing 5-6 foot diameter circle can be mowed right around without backing up (maybe that 7.5 number is accurate). HST is nice for changing terrain. The deck's dispersal isn't great when mowing high grass (over 8 inches), or wet grass. My two neighbors both have commercial Scag ZTR's, and that is one area where they really excel (but they are special purpose machines). It's got plenty of power to mow just about anything.

- Patrick

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #8  
I trim around alot of small pines and the BX accels at it. With the power steering and the hst you can get just as tight as you need to. I just crank the wheel and when the turn starts to get to wide I crank the wheel the other way and back a little and Whip the wheel the other way and just keep doing that till I'm around what ever I'm triming. the power steering is the trick. just a finger in the spoke and you can go lock to lock very guickly. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #9  
I'm very pleased with my BX. This little tractor has been a workhorse. While the "cut" has been satisfactory I do not think that it even comes close to the cut of the John Deere LX277 lawn tractor that I had previously. I bought my BX2200 because I needed something more versatile for the amount of property that I need to maintain. The Deere gave the lawn a manicured look while my BX gives the lawn a satisfactory look...just my opinion, but otherwise it has been a fantastic tractor so far.

/ how well does a BX2200 mow? #10  
I got the 60 inch MMM because the dealer said that it will do a much better job at preventing scalping than the 54 in MMM. I mow my backyard (2 acres) at 1.5 inches. It used to be a hayfield and now looks like a golfcourse. My neighbors always comment on how good my yard looks. It cuts good enough the I'm starting to cut my front yard with it rather than the pushmower. The turing radius is not bad at all. I have 24 trees with ropes and stakes around all of them and I have no problem steering around them. Sure, you'll always have some trimming to do but I get most with the 2200. I mow steep banks that have high grass after a rain ( not by choice but necessity here b/c of all the recent rains) and the Kubota BX2200 performs flawlessly. It never strains and I can even cut well driving up a very steep hill with plenty of bumps and have never felt like the tractor was going to tip.

Hope this helps! I consider this my best purchase in a long time!!!