How worried should I be? (Kubota BX)

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
While looking over the BX today, I noticed this...

There's what I'd call a ball-and-socket joint exposed because the fairly flimsy rubber capsule surrounding it has been mostly torn away. Damage from some serious bush hogging while reclaiming some land is my best guess. Not really sure how long its been like that.

How worried should I be? What's the best course of action?

Many thanks,

Lost

Attachments

• 100_3154.jpg
    100_3154.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_3155.jpg
    100_3155.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 272
   / How worried should I be? (Kubota BX)
Here's a pick of the opposite, "good" side.

Attachments

• 100_3156.JPG
    100_3156.JPG
    960.9 KB · Views: 177
   / How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #3  
If your not concerned then keep it greased on the outside and let it go. If your more concerned then see your dealer to get a new boot and replace. IMO replace will be less expensive over the long time.

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #4  
I wouldnt worry to much about it. I used a old inner tube and cut a piece out of it and used baling wire to hold it on. Its just to keep the dust out. But then again ducktape and baling wire and u can fix anything. :laughing::thumbsup:

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #5  
If your not concerned then keep it greased on the outside and let it go. If your more concerned then see your dealer to get a new boot and replace. IMO replace will be less expensive over the long time.

the dealers don't just have the boot so mine have a bike inner tube with wire on them now with 2nd wear layer over 1st layer

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #6  
Just ordered a replacement boot for my L4400 that I tore open while Brush cutting. I will install it myself and it was $14

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #8  
The only way to get that from Kubota is to buy the entire assembly (cant just get a boot). Might as well try to rig it up - if if breaks you would still just need to replace it.

/ How worried should I be? (Kubota BX) #9  
The only way to get that from Kubota is to buy the entire assembly (cant just get a boot). Might as well try to rig it up - if if breaks you would still just need to replace it.

My dealer just ordered in a pair of those boots for our L3830, $17/each, so they are available (at least for some tractors).
Once they are installed, I am going to make a secondary shield out of rubber (1/4" bedliner) to put in front of and extend the steel guard. That way it will flex when it gets bumped into, but it will keep thorns and brambles out of the steering gear.

Aaron Z