Howard Gear Reduction

/ Howard Gear Reduction #1  

Mt Hood

Tractor
GC1725MB
Not that I wanted, but I'm forced to sell some prized possessions. Because I need to dig a new well at the cost of about 10k
Selling a Howard gear reduction unit that came out of an 8n. I know it's a premeum price, but I need the cash. I've listed it on ebay here is the link.

20230805_092221.jpg
20230805_092242.jpg

/ Howard Gear Reduction #2  
Bummer your well cprapped out and you gotta sell stuff.

I hadn't heard of those before. Only the Sherman over/under.

Your lucky you can get someone to drill your well. Up here where I live there are only two well drilling companies left and they are booking 6 to 8 months out.
Leaving lots of people in a bad spot. I was told here in Ontario Canada you can't even get a mortgage unless the property already has a well on it.

/ Howard Gear Reduction #3  
They were aimed at Ford tractors in order to use Howard's roto-tiller, which they called a "rotovator". It's not an auxiliary transmission like the Sherman and the Hupp, it's more of an auxiliary rear end to slow the tractor while allowing the PTO to continue to spin at 540rpm. You can't do that with an auxiliary tranny like the Sherman. The photo shows the extra shifter below the lift lever which is a giveaway that a Howard may be inside.

Attachments

• Howard reduction gear with shifter shown.jpg
    Howard reduction gear with shifter shown.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
   / Howard Gear Reduction #4  
My Ford was set up with a rotovater…

When I bought the tractor the rotovator was long gone but the tractor still had the Howard.

I had no idea they were valuable or sought after…

/ Howard Gear Reduction #5  
My Ford was set up with a rotovater…

When I bought the tractor the rotovator was long gone but the tractor still had the Howard.

I had no idea they were valuable or sought after…
Restoration guys seek them mainly. Customizers also will use them to make "crawler" tractors for competition. Here is a photo of the famous "Fourtrans" Ford 8N done by a genius named Marvin Bauman.

Attachments

• Marvin's fourtrans.jpg
    Marvin's fourtrans.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Marvin's fourtrans-2.jpg
    Marvin's fourtrans-2.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 108
   / Howard Gear Reduction #6  
Only bad thing about the Howard is they do not abuse. Get to rough with them and the cage supporting the gears and some of the gears themselves have been known to split. I believe the Howard was also made for the NAA and 4 speed hundred series tractors.

/ Howard Gear Reduction #7  
Restoration guys seek them mainly. Customizers also will use them to make "crawler" tractors for competition. Here is a photo of the famous "Fourtrans" Ford 8N done by a genius named Marvin Bauman.
That is absolutely awesome!!!!

/ Howard Gear Reduction #8  
Only bad thing about the Howard is they do not abuse. Get to rough with them and the cage supporting the gears and some of the gears themselves have been known to split. I believe the Howard was also made for the NAA and 4 speed hundred series tractors.
Yep, I don't think parts have been available for many years so you have to cannibalize one to fix another.
I knew a guy in CO who had the Howard in his NAA so safe to assume it might also fit the Hundred Series and maybe early 2000 (4-cyl) Fords.

/ Howard Gear Reduction #9  
The Howard is on my 740 Row Crop

Attachments

• 1691338064780.png
    1691338064780.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 71
   / Howard Gear Reduction #10  
There was talk several years ago by someone who had found or bought a Howard and was going to look into possibly making them again but with improvements to beef up the weak spots. Think the idea died on the vine, not enough market to cover the costs.