HP/Acre

/ HP/Acre #11  
Yeah, but I doubt many physics majors spent much time watching dog-fights. And I doubt many psychology majors spend much time at tractor pulls, either. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

All of which is to say that what may work in predicting the winner of a dog fight isn't likely to fare too well in predicting the outcome of a tractor pull. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ HP/Acre #12  
I can't remember which thread that was Jim, but the word EQUAL was not used unless it was for a low calorie sweetner! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ HP/Acre #13  
Yeah, I have a couple of over 100 pound Malmutes and a little Boston Terrier that thinks he is as big as they are. Sure hope he never tries to get their food, though. When the big dogs get in a fight, you can't break them up with a cattle prod. It is the size of the dog in the fight!

/ HP/Acre #14  
I know what you mean Wen, I don't care how much "testicular fortitude" a little dog has, the excess they have there is certainly made up for in their lack of brains when trying to take on something 5 times their size!!

/ HP/Acre #15  
I suspect whoever first said that was trying to get somebody else to do something really stupid./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ HP/Acre #16  
Wen,

Since we went from tractors to dogs, how about a jump to people? Bruce Lee, martial artist, wasn't very big but had a lot of fight in him! What about it Muhammad, you have interest in martial arts, do the bigger "dogs" always win?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ HP/Acre #17  
Don't think thats a fair size comparison Jim. Bruce Lee weighed about 150lbs. Think he could take someone 5 times that size? (Not that I know many 750 pound people who can actually even walk!!) But I stray............ :)

/ HP/Acre #18  
I've been told that size doesn't matter. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ HP/Acre #19  
Kubota-Monkey,

Size or more important weight does matter, at least with tractors. There is no substitute for brute horsepower. When I was clearing this property for the first time, I was using a Belarus 530 with a Memo loader and a heavy 7' drag bush hog. If Ivan could knock it over the bush hog could chew it up. This place had not been mowed in years probably decades! The thickets I was easily mowing through would've stopped this L2500 Dinky-San /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif in it's tracks. Welding a ball to the bucket to move the utility and horse trailers (both are goosenecks) was a great thing with Ivan. The weight of the utility trailer is just about par with Dinky-San /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I was experimenting with it the other day and the trailer weighs enough to get Dinky-San /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif on three wheels if it is off center or in a hole /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif! However, this is the first year that I have been able to mow across the bottoms. If it wasn't a severe drought year, Ivan, who weighed in at 6000 lbs. dry, would go visit his commrades in China. I can park Dinky-San in the isle of the barn and ride by on a horse and not worry about bumping walls or tractor. No way with Ivan. That meant I had to dedicate one whole 12' stall and fence beyond that just for Ivan. I have an extra stall now.

The size and horsepower need to be matched somewhat to the jobs at hand or anticipated. My perfect tractor really falls somewhere between these two. My pastures are clear now so Dinky-San does just fine spinning a 5' three point bush hog and the price was right at a time when I needed it to be.