HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here?

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #1  

e.myers

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4WD Hydrostat
Was thinking that there had to be some sort of HP & weight guidelines that could be used when selecting a tractor.

Would the guidelines look different for PTO hp vs tractor HP.

Anyway, below is a list of "chores" that a tractor might be responsible for. If anyone could pencil in min HP/Weight req'd to do that chore, it would be most helpful for me to get a handle on what the whole HP/Weight thing equates to. I know that the HP will be different for the different width implements, so if anyone cares to elaborate that would be "wonderful".

Something draws a line for when I need to go from 30 to 35 to 40 doesn't it?

Similarly, something draws the line for tractor weight required, correct?

Bushogging
Lifting round bale at front of tractor
Front end loader full of dirt
Front end loader full of rock
Subsoiling
Rototilling
Discing
Round Bailing
Square Bailing
Post Hole digging
Backhoe
Anything else?

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #2  
Was thinking that there had to be some sort of HP & weight guidelines that could be used when selecting a tractor.

Anyway, below is a list of "chores" that a tractor might be responsible for. If anyone could pencil in min HP/Weight req'd to do that chore, it would be most helpful for me to get a handle on what the whole HP/Weight thing equates to. I know that the HP will be different for the different width implements, so if anyone cares to elaborate that would be "wonderful".

Bushogging
Subsoiling
Rototilling
Discing
Round Bailing
Square Bailing
Post Hole digging
Backhoe
Anything else?

A 30HP to 35HP will cover most of the above until you get in to the baling and sub soiling stuff. You have to research the implements first and then back your way in to the proper size tractor.

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #3  
Was it something like for brush hogging it was 5HP for every foot of blade width ?

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #4  
And don't forget about gearing. A really low HP motor geared properly can out-pull a much larger HP machine that isn't geared properly.

I think what you will get out of this is a lot of opinions based on personal experience, but no hard, fast numbers. Mind you, a lot of that experience is good experience, and that is probably what you are looking for, however, there really is no "rules" to it.

For instance, my little Power Trac PT425 has a 25 HP gasoline lawn mower engine and no PTO shaft. Everything is run off of hydraulics. My brush hog is 48" wide. At the 5HP per 1' of implement guideline, my hydraulic PTO should have to put out 20HP. After calculations, it really only puts out about 11HP. However, it does a fine job! (see the videos below)

http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds1.WMV
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds2.WMV
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425FieldClearing.WMV

The tractor only weighs 1500# yet can lift 800#. Most larger tractors don't come close to that weight to lift ratio. For moving mulch, loose stone, etc... this little tractor will outrun anything in its size class. However, it cannot pull a ground engaging implement like a plow because of its light weight and gearing.

In my opinion you really have to be careful when using HP and weight guidelines. They are a good starting point, but you really need to see one in action in person to make your final judgment before purchase.

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #5  
A 30HP to 35HP will cover most of the above until you get in to the baling and sub soiling stuff. You have to research the implements first and then back your way in to the proper size tractor.

I agree. The NH CUT's used to be classified as Category I, II, and III based on frame size. My "29" is a Class II. Back when I was researching tractors out the "29" was one of the "heavier" tractors for HP/PTO HP and "footprint". I also wanted to stay in the ~60" size for attachments. BTW- I have no trouble handling a 60" MD rotary cutter with my rig. Jay

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #6  
Just about anysize tractor will do anything on the list except the hay bailing and lifting a round bail. For example, a loader and brush hog is sized for the tractor. What you need to ask is what weight tractor and H.P. to power a 10 foot brush mower or lift 0.5 cubic yard of dirt in one bucket full.

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #7  
I guess it all comes down to the point do you want to play or do you want to farm and make this an income generator.
Some people on here will tell you that a BX will do everything you want to do except what DODGE MAN posted I started off with a small 40 hp tractor doing hay around my area but my employer gave me all the time off I needed to do it.I was running a 7FT 990 MC with a MF 12 baler 8Hrs to mow 1 field rough ride w/smaller tires I changed jobs and could not get the time off that I needed seeing that I looked around for something that would speed the operation up.I found a 60HP with good ground clearance that would handle a Heston in line baler and a used 1010 Heston swing arm mower I cut my time to 4 Hrs with larger tires it was a very comfortable ride.Another plus was getting the hay cut and in because of weather I have lost more hay only to the fact that the window of good weather changed.
In your other post you have acquired a 150 acre farm don't let this be the case of the tail waging the dog make your land conform to the tractor now is the chance to do this before anything is laid out.The larger tractor will be wider and also taller so you will be forced to make your layout a bit larger in the beginning, but if you go for a narrow tractor when your crops start to mature will you be able to get a pickup in there without scraping the sides I had enough room when I did my land that I was able to maneuver a M211 around with no problems.

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #8  

Bushogging
Subsoiling
Rototilling
Discing
Round Bailing
Square Bailing
Post Hole digging
Backhoe
Anything else?
Think in the neighborhood of 90-100# per HP.

Our ~3000 pound 35HP L3450 with loaded AGs and 4WD will handle all of that except round baling. You will definitely need to make allowances during lifting a round bale and on any significant ground engagement work. A 5000# tractor would be much better there but very often large size gets in the way in miscellaneous use.
larry

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here? #9  

Bushogging
Subsoiling
Rototilling
Discing
Round Bailing
Square Bailing
Post Hole digging
Backhoe
Anything else?

-Bush hog: 4-5 hp/ft of mower width. I ran a 4-ft brush hog with my 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto). Now I run a 6-ft hog with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto). Bush Hog recommends 30-45 pto hp for it's 6-ft hog, 50-70 pto hp for it's 7-ft hog.

- Lifting round bale with FEL: depends on the bale size and weight. My 5525 can lift 2960 lb (measured at the bucket pivot pins) to full height (10.5 ft). With the FEL, that 5525 weighs about 6200 lb without hydro-inflated rear tires. I'd feel safe lifting a 2000 lb round bale a foot or so to move it around. But I don't think I'd try lifting it to full FEL height and then moving the tractor.

- FEL full of dirt/rock: see above.

- Subsoiling: depends on the depth you need to reach with the shank. With my little Kubota I could run my single shank King Kutter SS maybe 6-8 inches deep during the rainy season (Nov-May) when the soil has been softened. No way I could do that now after 2+ months of triple digit temps and no rain since late May. My neighbor uses a 70 hp MF 294 tractor to pull a single shank parabolic ripper (aka subsoiler) to break up the hardpan 18-24" deep when he was restoring his alfalfa field. That 294 really struggled (he ripped the field in Sep when the soil was like concrete).

-Rototilling: my little Kubota could handle a 4-ft rototiller OK in soft ground. If the tiller struggled, I'd have to plow the ground with my King Kutter middle buster and then rototill.

- Discing: I pull a heavy 7-ft offset disc with my 5525 and add about 400 lb of weight to the disc to make it dig better. I also have a 13-ft tandem disc on wheels that I cut down to about 10-ft wide by removing a few of the outer pans. My 5525 pulls it OK in thin dry soil. Haven't tried it yet in soft soil.

-Round baling: can't help you here.

- Square baler: my Massey Ferguson 124 baler (14"x18"x45"L bales, 50-60 lb bales) supposedly can be operated off 30 pto hp. I use my 5525.

/ HP Guidelines? Moderator ok here?
Alright, I have a better perspective now. Thanks for the replies. When I get done with my homework, I'll more than likely be back with more questions.

Thanks.