HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless?

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Ive had printers over 40 years but only in the last few have nearly full cartridges "Expired" requiring replacement.

These printers are for specific functions which have regular use but low page counts.

Is this a new thing across the board or only with HP printers and HP ink?

Also a few issues with HP LaserJet printers where a cartridge is moved from one machine location to another machine in another location... mostly in a pinch which results in a Not Genuine cartridge or stop printing until dialog box satisfied...

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #2  
Sorry for not answering your question but a comment.
I think HP has the worst proprietary software for their peripherals imaginable, I refuse to buy their crap at all. Last HP printer/scanner I.....had because I bought aftermarket cartridges at less than 1/2 price I had to go thru a resetting dance every time I used the cursed thing. I ended up putting my fist thru the glass tray and chucking it in the driveway. Got a few odd looks from my daughter when she showed up later in the day but she nodded her head knowing what happened.
As for moving the cartridges from one machine to another, yup I've heard that once their installed on a specific machine, it's tied to that machine. How dare you try and use something you've purchased the way you want to :).
Sorry for the rant but that kind of crap ticks me off to no end, my theory is you've bought it it's yours to do with what you want................Mike

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #3  
I quit buying HP printers years ago. I think the last one was an HP Deskjet 500 (or something like that). I've had Epson, Canon and some old Geminis going back to the "typewriter ribbon" days. Now, I keep going back to Brother. The Brother ink cartridges don't expire but the machines go through a cleaning process once a week whether it's turned on or not. If it's plugged in, it cleans once a week--Even if you just printed 500 pages. They all place selling ink ahead of printer prices. And they all have different methods of determining ink level.

I really like my old Brother Laser more than any ink printer I've had. It's an old MFC-9320CW and I can still get supplies. I can't plug anything else into the same outlet while it's running but it always starts up and runs without failure. (y) I happened to pick it up at an auction a few years ago for like $10 (I was the only bidder). When I checked the internal stats, it had less than 10 hours on it.

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #4  
Ive had printers over 40 years but only in the last few have nearly full cartridges "Expired" requiring replacement.

These printers are for specific functions which have regular use but low page counts.

Is this a new thing across the board or only with HP printers and HP ink?

Also a few issues with HP LaserJet printers where a cartridge is moved from one machine location to another machine in another location... mostly in a pinch which results in a Not Genuine cartridge or stop printing until dialog box satisfied...
Ink jet ink goes bad if sitting on the shelf for long periods of time. It does the same thing if sitting in a machine for a long time with little and/or intermittent use.

With that said, many printers will now know if the cartridge you are using is from a 3rd party and not “genuine”. I had some Epson printers like that. They’d complain about non-genuine Epson blah blah… when the cartridge was installed, but if you OK’d it, it would no longer complain. If, however, you removed the cartridge for some reason, and reinstalled it, it would complain again. Sometimes it might complain if the power was removed for a period of time, too, like if a power strip got turned off.

Similar things when we used remanufactured toner cartridges in laser printers. You had to acknowledge that it was not genuine HP toner cartridge.

That kind of stuff probably started 15 years ago.

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #5  
I really like my old Brother Laser more than any ink printer I've had.
Same here, mines a L23800, don't use it much but it's a good 3-4 years old and has aftermarket reman toner cartridges in it, works like a charm....M

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #6  
Ink jet ink goes bad if sitting on the shelf for long periods of time. It does the same thing if sitting in a machine for a long time with little and/or intermittent use.
Laser powder does too. But, if a cartridge hasn't been used for a while, you can treat it as a new one by performing the same initial step(s). Typically, this is shaking to mix or rotating/shaking the cartridges to loosen toner. Just don't shake a toner cartridge upside down. :LOL:

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #7  
I keep going back to Brother.
All we use here and we have 3. I'm 100% sold on Brother printers (inkjet). You can purchase aftermarket cartridges that are as good as OEM and inexpensive. They make good sewing machines as well, my wife has one.

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless?
Had a feeling not all printers have similar restrictions...

The ink pack was well over $100 and had 19 months to expiration... maybe a 100 pages so over a buck a page!

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #9  
Laser powder does too. But, if a cartridge hasn't been used for a while, you can treat it as a new one by performing the same initial step(s). Typically, this is shaking to mix or rotating/shaking the cartridges to loosen toner. Just don't shake a toner cartridge upside down. :LOL:
And don’t use a regular vacuum cleaner to suck up toner. It can be explosive.

And if you get toner on your hands or clothes, don’t use hot water to clean it up. Heat sets it. Use cold water.

/ HP Ink Jet Printer Ink expires and useless? #10  
The one thing I really like about Brother printers is, the 'ink trap' which is where the residual ink goes when doing a nozzle cleaning, don't impact the overall operation of the machine. Most printers have an 'end of life' sequence programmed into their ECM that renders the printer inoperative when that time cycle is reached whether the 'ink tank' is saturated or not. Cannon Pixma printers are noted for that especially. Planned obsolence at it's best. You can remove the 'residual ink tank' on a brother and clean / empty it, though I never have because I don't 'clean the nozzles' too much. So long as the print quality remains good, they don't get cleaned.

Had a Pixma that expired due to the 'end of life' program in the ecm and basically there is no work around so it went to the landfill (printer heaven) and was replaced with Brother's and no more Cannon printers here. Pixma's do print nicely but are basically worthless in my opinion. You can have the fastest throughput and the best reproduction but if the machine becomes a useless rock after a pre determined amount of time. they aren't worth beans in my opinion.