HST Best Operating Practices

/ HST Best Operating Practices #1  

Rfisher7381

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
I recently purchased a BX2360 and have been very pleased. This unit has really saved wear and tear on my back this Spring and Summer.

I want the machine to last a long time and am interested in input from folks with HST experience on how to operate to promote a long and healthy life of the tractor. I already know I need to keep up on all preventive maintenance (filter changes, oil changes, etc.). I am more interested in day to day operation. For example, a few times I've been in high range going up an incline with the FEL loaded and I could tell the machine was working a bit harder by the HST whine. I had the treadle mashed to the floor and the tractor kept climbing fine - just slowly. Is that damaging to the unit? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

/ HST Best Operating Practices #2  
These would be my suggestions. Working in Hi isn't really the way to go. Work in Lo when working hard. Also, mashing the pedal is actually the opposite of what one should do. It isn't a gas pedal, like a car. It actually makes the tractor "gear up" making it work harder. It takes a re-learning, but don't mash the pedal. Just steady as you go. Bump up the throttle, if you wish, but the HST pedal does not produce more RPM nor add more power.

Yup, the BXs whine, and working in Hi is going to produce much more whine and simply is like trying to take a hill on your bike in 10th speed.

/ HST Best Operating Practices #3  
Pretty much what bp fick said. If your engine is bogging down, let up on the HST treadle/pedal until it returns to the proper RPMs or go to a lower range.

It took me a while to get use to it.

/ HST Best Operating Practices #4  
I wish mine had a 3 range tranny like the 2920s do. Sometimes the low is too low and the high is too high. If I had a mid range, I would leave it there to mow. As it is, I am in high gear at half pedal on the flats then shift to low gear full pedal when I get to the incline.

Ian

Last edited:
   / HST Best Operating Practices #5  
The increased whine comes from higher propel pressure, and that in general means higher loads - hydraulic loads on the transmission, bearing loads might be higher, and possibly lower efficiency due to extra leakage at high pressure. My L5740 HSTC has 3 gear ranges and a dual displacement motor. I have been plowing a very tough field. It will easily pull in low gear range, low hydro range, at 2.0 mph. If I shift up to low gear range low hydro range and control my speed with the pedal to run at the same ground speed, the engine will pull down 100 - 200 rpm lower. The propel pressure needs to be higher at the smaller motor displacement to produce the same output torque, and that higher pressure = more leakage = lower efficiency. I have also tried 2 gear low hydro range and feathering the pedal to maintain 2700 rpm which is peak power for my engine, but it is a lot of work for a few tenths of a mph. So I get the job done with my engine running at 2800 rpm, above the peak power point, but easier on the driver and the tractor. This dual displacement motor on the Grand L 40's is a major improvement over my past Grand L 10 series.

/ HST Best Operating Practices #6  
Let the tractor warm up before using it... there was another thread about that.

/ HST Best Operating Practices #7  
I recently purchased a BX2360 and have been very pleased. This unit has really saved wear and tear on my back this Spring and Summer.

I want the machine to last a long time and am interested in input from folks with HST experience on how to operate to promote a long and healthy life of the tractor. I already know I need to keep up on all preventive maintenance (filter changes, oil changes, etc.). I am more interested in day to day operation. For example, a few times I've been in high range going up an incline with the FEL loaded and I could tell the machine was working a bit harder by the HST whine. I had the treadle mashed to the floor and the tractor kept climbing fine - just slowly. Is that damaging to the unit? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Kubota's have a pressure relief on the HST. When I am over working the HST I can feel this pressure relief kick out. Kind of a hesitation and surge in speed at the same time. It is very noticeable. The manual says it doesn't hurt anything when this relief kicks out but to downshift to a lower gear if it does because the HST is being over worked.