HST Filter wont come off

/ HST Filter wont come off #12  
I am doing the 50 hr service on my MX5100 and I cant seem to get the HST filter off. That rascal seems to be on there quite tight. Can I use a hammer and drift against the slots machined into the filter, or does Kubota have a special wrench for this thing?

Don't recall any difficulties changing the HST filter on my little B but, on handy filter wrenches, I've had good success with the spider type of wrench another poster mentioned. It CAN crunch the end of the filter, though, if it's really stubborn.

The chain wrench looks handy, too. And, as mentioned, there's always the option of punching a hole all the way through the filter and making a big 'T' wrench out of it. That hasn't always worked too well for me; sometimes the metal just tears.

/ HST Filter wont come off #13  
I've had very good results with a wrench like this wrench.jpg

It doesn't destroy the filter and if more grip is needed a strip of emery cloth works well.

/ HST Filter wont come off #14  
If the filter is so tight that a regular filter wrench won't remove it driving a screwdriver thru it will end up ripping the can open. After the can is gone sometimes a spanner wrench will fit in the drain back holes in the now exposed baseplate.

Of the many great tools snap on has there strap wrench is without equal!
In my experience a chain wrench is a pretty crude tool to wrap around a oil filter. Ymmv

/ HST Filter wont come off #15  
I would think the hammer and drift would work to get the filter to move a little,then use the filter wrench as mentioned before.

Awhile ago I was servicing an L3540 and no way was the hydraulic filter coming off with any filter wrench-first 50 hour service.I used an air chisel with a blunt end punch gently on the filter flats-worked like a charm to start the filter moving,then followed up with the filter wrench.It was starting to look ugly.Good Luck!

/ HST Filter wont come off #16  
My first filter change on my used l48 couldn't get the hst filter off with the channel locks I always use(in fact spun the can but didn't lossen the end) couple taps with the drift pin got it no problem. Ditto on the shop vac!

/ HST Filter wont come off #17  
Had one on so tight I broke the typical HD oil wrench, broke the strap wrench, got a grip on it with a chain, and the can twisted off and the thread stayed on. Had to do a hammer and chisel on what was left finally came off.

/ HST Filter wont come off #18  
Typical Kubota factory installed filter. Believe it was installed dry and torqued on using a five foot cheater bar. I use the snap-on large filter wrench for the hst and have had no problem.

/ HST Filter wont come off #19  
One of these works on stubborn filters.chain clamp.jpg Also good for grabbing anything round without doing too much damage. HF has one for ten bucks or less. Grab the filter at the end and you will not get too much crush before you get a strong grip.

/ HST Filter wont come off #20  
I broke my never before failed, homemade strap wrench while trying to remove my oil filter. Things were getting desperate, so I bought a huge set of arc joint pliers (similar to channel locks). I grabbed the filter on the rim, near the connection, and they took it right off. (Note: I've never had a cheap pair of arc joint pliers didn't slip in the joint so, I got a name brand.)