HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400
Installed JD red dye and tried to get pics yesterday. Sun was in front of tractor and not sure I got pics. Posting and looking myself......I can't find it in theone pic but can in one due to red spot and light blue magic marker around it in the other pic.
DSCF7092.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF7090.JPG
    DSCF7090.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
  • DSCF7090.JPG
    DSCF7090.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #22  
You can add John Deere hydraulic dye(MT3668) to any Kubota;makes seeing the fluid a lot easier. Note;make sure you tell your dealer if they service!
How much do you add? The entire container or a few drops?

How much do you add? The entire container or a few drops?
I filled an eye dropper type device a couple of times about half full. Should get about 8 to 10 treatments out of a bottle. Next time I'll just do one half full eye dropper.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #24  
I filled an eye dropper type device a couple of times about half full. Should get about 8 to 10 treatments out of a bottle. Next time I'll just do one half full eye dropper.
Why would you need to treat the hydraulic oil with dye more than once?

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #25  
I added two JD dye containers to my tractor;ordered two more for my buddy's.Lasting for years even after a oil/filter change.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #26  
I added two JD dye containers to my tractor;ordered two more for my buddy's.Lasting for years even after a oil/filter change.
Wow. You added two full containers to your hydraulic oil?

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #27  
I never do and I have the hard to read dipsticks on my M9's. I drilled a small hole in each dipstick on the full and add marks on the sticks. When full, the oil bridges the full hole and it easy to see. Same with the add mark. Just like automotive builders do it. In fact all my dipsticks I've modified like that unless they already have the tiny holes from the factory.

Of course it's really not necessary because I use Chevron THC All Weather Synthetic in both my tractors and interestingly, THC is already dyed orange from the manufacturer.

Why would you need to treat the hydraulic oil with dye more than once?
I will not treat the same oil again but when I change fluid and filters I figure I'll need to treat the new introduced untreated almost clear oil to be able to see it. I also have had some hyd hoses bust/break on other tractors over the years and have lost lots of fluid and replaced with more clear SUDT and if that happens with this tractor I'll have dye to add.........if needed.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #29  
Installed JD red dye and tried to get pics yesterday. Sun was in front of tractor and not sure I got pics. Posting and looking myself......I can't find it in theone pic but can in one due to red spot and light blue magic marker around it in the other pic.View attachment 692530
Just curious as to what all the 'goobering' at the edge of the PTO shield is all about? Looks terrible, not OEM. Looks like someone blew their nose there....lol

Last edited:
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #30  
I bought the JD hydraulic dye through Walmart.com. Got it within a week and added the entire contents (< 2 oz) as the instructions stated.

Definitely made a difference in visually seeing the hydraulic level through the sight glas.

Attachments

• sight_glass_April_2021.jpg
    sight_glass_April_2021.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 113