HST or More HP ?

/ HST or More HP ? #11  
I think of all the applications you list there is only 1 that is a bottom limiter (I.E. size/weight) that would be finish mowing. It seems everything else you need to do is where the adage applies bigger is better. One other point is the % of time spent on the tractor will probably be mowing 70% ???. HST is great for mowing if there our any obstacles to mow around also smaller tractors tend to have smaller turning radius.(Except super steer) I guess if I had to do it I would look for the biggest tractor with the most fitting features that you could use for finish mowing. Hopefully that choice will be large enough for the other chores. If not you may have to consider 2 different units for the jobs. Tough decision. Good luck.!

/ HST or More HP ? #12  
Hey Murph!

I am a huge fan of HST.

But if you can only get one of thos, get the Kubota. But I would look at the 3830 closely. Either in HST or shuttle shift.

/ HST or More HP ? #13  
Since you are not doing anything with most of the 80 acres but you will be mowing a lot you don't need a gigantic tractor. I think you would be fine as long as you stay above 30HP.

Mahindra 3015 or Kioti CK30. Either of those will run a 72" RMM and the Mahindra will run a 72" MMM also. Both are heavy enough for what you want and get the HST. My opinion.

/ HST or More HP ? #14  
If you can aford enough hp in the HST model... you have a much easier choice. Its when you are faced with a dividing point of a gear model, or an hst model.. and the 2-3 hp may make the difference on the job that you need to be on the fence.

I'm a gear man myself.. all my tractors are standard. However.. that said, there are quite a few people that swear by the HST.. some consider it necescary.. and not optional. If you were doing alot of FEL work.. you'd probably deffinately want hst.. or at least some sort of shuttle or reverser tranny. With the tasks you stated.. both units will work.. you may sacrifice a few hp on the heavy tasks.. but the tractors you are looking at are quite beefy enough to handle the loss for those mentioned tasks.

When size isn't a limit I like to go for as much HP as I can buy... since there's no substitute for not enought hp...

Soundguy

/ HST or More HP ? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
* Mowing of 7 acres of lawn around the house site and gardens
* Preparation includig ripping and maintenance of a 5 acre olive grove )</font>

The small Kioti would work but these two items deserve further consideration.

Are you mowing hills?
I pull a 6' finish mower with 24 PTO HP on a large frame L3130 @3100+ lbs. It pulls it just fine however...if I were mowing hills a lot I'd want a couple more PTO HP.

Ripping 5 acres...How often do you have to do this?
I'd probably want a couple more HP to speed things up a little.

Not sure what the Kioti model would be but I think a 27-28 PTO HP tractor would cover it. 30 HP would be gravy.

/ HST or More HP ? #16  
Go for the extra HP it is not hard to change gears on a tractor. With 80 acres you have a good size farm. Kuboata with the MX series, JD with the 5003 series and Massy with the 400 series are all great bargin priced Utility tractors which I think in the long run you will be glad you bought atleasta 40hp pto tractor. Even if its in pasture you will have to mow it ocasionaly. But whatever you do look at all your choices.