HST or NOT ?

/ HST or NOT ?
Hi All,

Just talked to the salesman at the Kioti dealer and inquired about getting a DK HST model with factory cab and was informed that HST wasn't available in any Kioti models with factory cab.

If I wanted one with a cab I would have to buy the DK45S without HST or buy after market cab or another manufacture of course.
I was surprised that Kioti didn't make a model with HST and factory cab.
It appears the only model Kioti has with factory cab is the DK45S. I was also surprised to see a AM/FM cassette in the cab. Man a Cassette! Just as well they included an 8 track! Can you still buy cassette's? :D

Paul

/ HST or NOT ? #12  
4shorts said:
Hi All,

Just talked to the salesman at the Kioti dealer and inquired about getting a DK HST model with factory cab and was informed that HST wasn't available in any Kioti models with factory cab.

If I wanted one with a cab I would have to buy the DK45S without HST or buy after market cab or another manufacture of course.
I was surprised that Kioti didn't make a model with HST and factory cab.
It appears the only model Kioti has with factory cab is the DK45S. I was also surprised to see a AM/FM cassette in the cab. Man a Cassette! Just as well they included an 8 track! Can you still buy cassette's? :D

Paul

This is true . . . although it said that a HST DK45SE is on the horizon but not yet officially confirmed yet. If you want a factory cab you will need to go shuttle shift or a different manufact.

/ HST or NOT ? #13  
For snow I think everyone would agree that HST is far superior. For plowing pr ground work its probably gear.

If my main thing was snow work, HST and a factory cab would be essential for me.

/ HST or NOT ? #14  
Cassettes are great if you use an Ipod or other type of MP3 player. The cassette adapters are way better than FM modulators. So, I see it as a plus. CD's and dusty/dirty tractors don't mix too well anyway.

I definitely would not forgo the HST just to get a factory cab. There are some good after market cabs out there. Or consider a different model/make that will give you both.

I looked at a JD 3720 (I think that's the right model) HST with factory cab the other day. What a sweet tractor that is. Loved the short wheel base on the thing; nice and compact. It didn't even have a radio of any type though. Of course, JD's usually cost more.

/ HST or NOT ? #15  
I'm going to swim against the tide here folks. I don't think a tractor can beat a good 4x4 with a plow. Cheaper, warmer, stronger, CD friendly and much, much faster.

If you really want a tractor and can use it for other things then by all means, buy it. If it's just for snow removal and you're used to a truck with plow, I think you'll be disappointed.

A tractor with a front blade and a snow blower on the back is ideal for situations where you don't have a lot of room or terrain that will allow you to push the white stuff back a ways to get ready for the next storm. I don't know if this is your case, but I suspect not as you've been doing it with your truck for a while. What exactly is leaning you towards a tractor?

Don't get me wrong, I use my tractor to remove my snow. I have a back blade and move the piles as needed with my loader but the guys with the trucks kick my butt in terms of time spent clearing it out. And in their case (maybe yours too) Time is money!

/ HST or NOT ? #16  
I assume the tractor is in addition to the plow truck. No doubt the plow truck seems to be preferred by most plow guys, but its nice to have a front end loader/blower for tight parking lots

/ HST or NOT ? #17  
Gittyup said:
Cassettes are great if you use an Ipod or other type of MP3 player. The cassette adapters are way better than FM modulators. So, I see it as a plus. CD's and dusty/dirty tractors don't mix too well anyway.

I definitely would not forgo the HST just to get a factory cab. There are some good after market cabs out there. Or consider a different model/make that will give you both.

I looked at a JD 3720 (I think that's the right model) HST with factory cab the other day. What a sweet tractor that is. Loved the short wheel base on the thing; nice and compact. It didn't even have a radio of any type though. Of course, JD's usually cost more.

If you buy the Deere it will be clean inside the cab

/ HST or NOT ? #18  
Hi Paul,

I just bought a 45s - shuttle shift. I have about 7 hours experience on this unit and many on an old cockshutt.

I heard the HST will rob HP and if you are planning on using 3pt / hydraulic attachments this may be something to consider.

The AC uses a bit of HP as well or at least revs the engine more when turned on - you probably won't need the AC in NFLD - :) !!

I wish it was snowing now (NOT) so I could try my 6' rear blower.

Also, HST are more to repair - so I hear.

Good luck...

I gave a 10% deposit for my purchase.

Lloyd

/ HST or NOT ?
Lloyd_E said:
Hi Paul,

I just bought a 45s - shuttle shift. I have about 7 hours experience on this unit and many on an old cockshutt.

I heard the HST will rob HP and if you are planning on using 3pt / hydraulic attachments this may be something to consider.

The AC uses a bit of HP as well or at least revs the engine more when turned on - you probably won't need the AC in NFLD - :) !!

I wish it was snowing now (NOT) so I could try my 6' rear blower.

Also, HST are more to repair - so I hear.

Good luck...

I gave a 10% deposit for my purchase.

Lloyd

Hey Lloyd congrats on the new tractor. I bet your going to put many smiles on that one for sure. I was looking at one like yours tonight at the dealer. Do you have to clutch that thing all the time to go from forward to rev? Really nice looking cab on it as well. Does it back up fast?

I don't want anything to slow for clearing a parking lot but I know it won't beat a plow truck. I was actually think about adapting my angle blade to the bucket as it is on the truck and just pull a few pins to disconnect and use the bucket.

I'm kind of into everything from machining to auto repairs. Just completed a custom trailer for a new Miller welding machine I just bought. Hang out on a number for forums but I have to say this is one of the best I've ever been on. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks everyone for your input. Paul

Have a look at my trailer if your interested!

New trailer for the Trailblazer - WeldingWeb - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

/ HST or NOT ? #20  
You will not have any hydraulic related issues with a DK45SE HST as far as the hydrostatic tranny robbing power from the working end of the machine. There really is being too much made of this debate between HST vs. Gear in this situation. Either one will work fine. Cab vs. no cab seem more important in this situation.