HST or not?

/ HST or not? #11  
Having owned both, price being equal, I would go HST in a heartbeat for any job..

I can't say that I've ever seen 2 similar tractors.. otherswise the same except 1 is gear and 1 is hst AND the prices are the same.

soundguy

/ HST or not?
By most accounts HST would be better and I'd certainly agree if all things were equal...but we're not talking equal pricing at all. Especially if giving up functional HP on a HST tractor would cause me to need to go up a size larger.

So, lets say my base of what will work for me is a Mahindra 5035. Tractor w/ loader ~26.5k

JD 4320 w/ loader ~31/32k, or 4-5k more. But if I need to go up a size on the JD toa 4520, that adds another 2k or so.

I if the 4320 JD would work, maybe a Mahindra 4035 would work which I could get for ~3k less than the 5035.

So all in all, looking at a price difference of at least 4k or so and maybe upwards of 6-7k for truly comparable work capabilities on these two tractors.

Haven't gotten to the point of checking local prices on a Kubota or NH, but from last time around, they were very similar to JD pricing.

Now, if I just compare a gear tractor to gear tractor, I can get a 5055E w/ loader for maybe $1k over the Mahindra...but kinda think I like the Mahindra better, seems they pack a lot of substance into a more compact form...just seem more heavy duty. I know all of these tractors will be much more HD than my little 2210, but I don't think that thing is sturdy at all...seems to be falling apart from what to me doesn't see like heavy workload...basically seems like a glorified lawn mower. Need something that will stand up to the use on a small horse farm...no heavy plowing or anything, but rough terrain, variety of chores, etc...pulling an occaisional tree would even be a plus (that way I could even ditch the 190).

So, am I in the ballpark with the models??? Will a smaller HST 4120?? do the job or do I need to even move up in an HST? Is it really worth it to drop an extra 4-7k for the HST?? We're only talking ~200-250hrs/year or so on the tractor...bulk of the hours grooming arenas or working pastures.

If I decide an HST is the way to go, will have to get serious about choosing between JD/NH/Kubota...just haven't gotten that far with the other two yet. OR, is there another make/model with HST that might work? A while back someone mentioned a Kioti, but don't know of any dealers...MF possibly, just don't know enough about other makes.

Thanks for all the help and putting up with my rambling.

jj

/ HST or not? #13  
keep us posted.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice here as long as you get what you want. ALL will do it.

some like hst.. some like the frugality of the gear units

good luck.. we are all counting on you. :)

soundguy

/ HST or not? #14  
keep us posted.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice here as long as you get what you want. ALL will do it.

some like hst.. some like the frugality of the gear units

good luck.. we are all counting on you. :)

soundguy

well said

/ HST or not? #15  
If you can pick a tractor with:

1. Just the right horsepower, no more no less.
2. Just the right weight, no more no less.
3. Just the right loader performance, no more no less.
4. Just the right tires.
5. Just the right transmission for ALL of your needs.
6. Just the right price, no more; don't worry about the "less" part, won't
happen.

If you can do all this and more that you aspire to in your tractor selection, you can retire from your present job and become a very successful tractor consultant.

Good luck, Larry

/ HST or not? #16  
Now that is funny! And true!

I'd also like to know what OP decides & your subsequent happiness level.

If you can pick a tractor with:

1. Just the right horsepower, no more no less.
2. Just the right weight, no more no less.
3. Just the right loader performance, no more no less.
4. Just the right tires.
5. Just the right transmission for ALL of your needs.
6. Just the right price, no more; don't worry about the "less" part, won't
happen.

If you can do all this and more that you aspire to in your tractor selection, you can retire from your present job and become a very successful tractor consultant.

Good luck, Larry

/ HST or not?
Well, after realizing we have a Kioti and a Bobact dealer locally I decided to check them out as well.

Looked at the Kioti DK50SE HST & basically the same Bobcat, CK450.

I liked them both, overall, probably a bit better than the Mahindra due to the HST. The Mahindra is definitely a bigger heavier tractor, and if I compared a similar Kioti, the DK55, I'd probably prefer the Mahindra, but it would be close. But think the 50hp HST will do the jobs I need easily and the wife will likely be happier with an HST she can run easier.

Quote I have on the Kioti is $23,500 for:
DK50SE HST
Quick Attach FEL
Bale Spear attachment for FEL
Fluid Filled tires (they said adds 350lbs per tire)
Remote Hydraulic Valve

Same setup on the Bobat would run ~$1300 more. Some things I prefer for each one, but for $1300 I think right now I'd stick with the Kioti.

This tractor has VERY similar specs to a JD 4320 would run ~29,750, BEFORE I add fluid to the tires, a Bale spear, remote hydraulic valve & extendable 3pt lift arms...very conservative est 1500 for those options puts it @ 31k+. Kioti/Bobcat also has one feature std that makes things easier...a lever to control the 3pt lift at the rear of the tractor!!

Double checking a NH 3050 this afternoon just to be sure...but unless I can get some substantial discounts, looks to be in the range of 1k less than the JD.

So, unless something drastically sways me, looks like I'm probably going Kioti.

Thanks for all the help.

jj

/ HST or not?
Checked out NH...closest they come is the 3045 with HST...a few hp less not a huge deal, it would still handle the chores I have. BUt, comes in at $28,400...so still 5k over the Kioti. Would like to try out a MF 1648 or 1653, have a quote on a 1648 at $27,400, but thats only tractor/loader combo, so will add to get bale spear, weight...from the website it looks like a better option than the NH, but again 5K+ higher than a Kioti, AND dealer doesn't have anything in that size or close in stock, and can't find one to test within a few hrs...doesn't bode well for them I guess.

Still looking like Kioti at this point....esp since I can add on a 6' TR3 arena drag and still be a few k under the competition.

Tractor seems sturdy...has features I like...plenty of power...dealer seems good...seems like a good option even if it were priced similarly to JD/NH/MF...so at several K less, looks good...almost TOO good. What am I missing here??

/ HST or not? #19  
What am I missing here??

It's a Kioti.

I'm sure Kioti makes great tractors. I'm sure of it. You'll just wish it wasn't a Kioti when you go to sell it.

Last time I was home, I helped my dad fix a 30 year old John Deere (model 300??) manure spreader. It had worn out a cam that advanced the apron chain. We were thinking we have to take the worn out part to a machine shop to approximate what it was supposed to look like new.

We went to the the local JD dealer and had a new part dropped off in our driveway UPS three days later. It sure was worth it to spend the extra money on this JD manure spreader at the auction.

I'm sure Kioti's are great. I'd like to have one. But that's what you're missing.

/ HST or not? #20  
Checked out NH...closest they come is the 3045 with HST...a few hp less not a huge deal, it would still handle the chores I have. BUt, comes in at $28,400...so still 5k over the Kioti. Would like to try out a MF 1648 or 1653, have a quote on a 1648 at $27,400, but thats only tractor/loader combo, so will add to get bale spear, weight...from the website it looks like a better option than the NH, but again 5K+ higher than a Kioti, AND dealer doesn't have anything in that size or close in stock, and can't find one to test within a few hrs...doesn't bode well for them I guess.

Still looking like Kioti at this point....esp since I can add on a 6' TR3 arena drag and still be a few k under the competition.

Tractor seems sturdy...has features I like...plenty of power...dealer seems good...seems like a good option even if it were priced similarly to JD/NH/MF...so at several K less, looks good...almost TOO good. What am I missing here??

I have to agree with JCB, if you know for sure you will only trade it in for another Kioti or keep it forever, the money you lose on a trade will more than make up for the money you save on the front end.

I use to keep equipment/tractors a long time, have two over fifty years old, but will be trading when one gets less than dependable and in need of increased maintenance in the future and must keep resale value in mind. In my area that is limited to Kubota, JD, Case and NH. I am sure this will change with time as it did with Kubota, but not right now.