HST over Geared tractor

/ HST over Geared tractor #1  

nathansv6

Hi,
I would like to know about the Tractor drive system. I learnt there are HST and Geared transmission. How are they working and which is better economically and which is better by use and which is better in price.
I appreciate for the help.

/ HST over Geared tractor #2  
Hi,
I would like to know about the Tractor drive system. I learnt there are HST and Geared transmission. How are they working and which is better economically and which is better by use and which is better in price.

Please search the site there are 100's of such posts

searching is the quickest way to get answers to you particular questions

Joel

/ HST over Geared tractor #3  
Hi,

Here is a page that describes different tractor transmission types. Click "info" and then "tractor transmission types."

HST and gear transmissions are all quite reliable. HST robs a little horsepower from the engine. HST is more expensive. Which one is better to use is a matter of personal preference although you'll probably find most people on TBN will prefer the HST. They are nice for a lot of back and forth movements like using a front end loader.

/ HST over Geared tractor #4  
I cannot improve on DmansPadge summary except to say that I consider HST to be more safe for many reasons. Have posted my thoughts on this topic also, a search will surface them.

/ HST over Geared tractor #5  
Hi,

Depends on what you are going to be doing with the tractor in question and HP of the tractor.
Lots of heavy pulling with very few direction changes, I.e. forward to reverse, gear drive would be the best since less power loss.

Lots of direction changes like loader work then HST is prefered.

Economically HST will cost more to buy and maintain since it requires oil changes and filters that most gear drives do not.

HST not as common in tractors over 30-40 HP

/ HST over Geared tractor #6  
My newer Kubota was my first HST. For "back and forth" work, there simply is no way to describe the heavenly ease of use. For tight work, around trees, buildings, structures of all kinds, it is absolutely the greatest ever!!

A gear tractor is designed to be put in gear and work a while, in my opinion. They were and are awesome for row crops, cultivating, plowing and such in the field. If I had a lot of that kind of work to do, I'd buy a gear in a heartbeat.

Your work, that you do 90% of the time, will decide the issue for you. It is that simple.

Last edited:
   / HST over Geared tractor #7  
+1 @ bp flick

Pete

/ HST over Geared tractor #8  
Very simplified answer here and not 100% correct but think of HST as an automatic and a gear like a standard in your car. As said above if you are doing a lot of starting and stopping, going back and forth, etc then a HST would be better. If you are going on long streches like plowing or shredding a large wide open field a gear might be better.

Just like a car if you were in stop and go city traffic all day you would probably not want a standard. It would work, but an auto would be better suited. If you drove on the interstate all the time a standard may be preffered because it is more efficient.

The HST just like an auto in a car has some internal power loss. A gear transmission gets more of your engine HP to the ground.

For me and most things people do around small acreage a HST seems to be better suited.

/ HST over Geared tractor #9  
It's simple:
If you're MANLY, you get a gear tractor
If you're a Metrosexual or effeminate, you buy a hydro!!

See, not so tough, was it?

Actually, I'm a gear tranny guy and much prefer very simple, robust tractors (such as my 790, a design that goes back at least 20 years) I'm also the only operator of my 790.
If I used the loader more extensively then I do, or had more then one operator, a hydro might be a good choice (although I'd probably go for a reverser transmission instead).

Bottomline is, if you're not experienced with manual transmission either be prepared to learn or go for the hydro.

/ HST over Geared tractor #10  
I cannot improve on DmansPadge summary except to say that I consider HST to be more safe for many reasons. Have posted my thoughts on this topic also, a search will surface them.

inherant safety lies with the operator.

an unsafe person driving an HST isn't going to be better off than a super safe person on a gear unit.. no magic here....

soundguy