Hst problem after popping hyd line

/ Hst problem after popping hyd line #1  

racerboy832

Silver Member
Tractor
Deutz Allis 5220 w FEL and Backhoe
A couple weeks ago after picking up a pallet I blew the tilt line on my tractor. It was a 13 foot line for quick unload front end . Since I never take it off I just bought a 6 foot line of the same size. Hooked it up and it's working. I topped off the fluid. I went over to the neighbors the other day to pick up some stuff and noticed that I can't make it on the street in high gear. It will bogg. It almost seemed like it has loss power. The picking up power seems to of dropped too. I've made the trip up the road many times before ok.

One thing I noticed is. If I have the forks on and put them close to the ground, if I tilt the forks into the ground like trying to pick the machine up, it will pickup the whole front end loader up as if it was in the float position.

The tractor is a deutz 5220 26hp. Hst drive.

Last edited:
   / Hst problem after popping hyd line #2  
Have you checked the hydraulic pressure? Might have done more damage then the blown hose.

/ Hst problem after popping hyd line #3  
In the tilt position, if you lay the forks on the ground and tilt down, it should raise the tractor front end. If your tractor FEL valve has regen and you go to regen, selection, it might not pick the front up.

As far as the HST, there should be test points to test the charge pressure and the operating pressure.

You should have a manual to do this.

Float position on the lift cyl simply follows the contour of the ground

/ Hst problem after popping hyd line
If I put the forks down and then tilt it will lift the loader arms, Now if I put a little down pressure on the loader arms then try tilting the forks it will pick the machine up. The loader hyd pump is shared with the HST pump. I was trying to figure out if the problem with the loader is also causing me problems with the HST seeming to slow down.

/ Hst problem after popping hyd line #5  
The loader hyd pump is shared with the HST pump. I was trying to figure out if the problem with the loader is also causing me problems with the HST seeming to slow down.

When you say "The loader hyd pump is shared with the HST pump," I find that hard to believe. I suspect the main hydraulic pump and the HST pump both draw fluid from the same reservoir, but doubt that they are related in any other way. Even for charge pump pressure, the main hydraulic pressure would be too high to supply to the HST. Normally, HSTs have a built-in charge pump that supplies pressure/fluid to keep the HST pump from cavitating. This pressure rarely is more than 100 to 200 psi. Your HST stalling in high range is more a function of a pressure relief valve malfunction or a great change in fluid viscosity. It could also be due to air getting into the system or a clog of a filter somewhere. There are lots of reasons, but I just cannot see that the main hydraulic pump would effect the HST pump, especially after blowing a hose and replacing fluid. You might check your reservoir again to make sure it is full with the tractor on level ground.

/ Hst problem after popping hyd line #6  
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/1/6/3160-deutz-allis-5220.html

The implement circuit is open center hyd. 4.6 GPM

Install a hyd gage and tell us the pressure on the curl and lift circuits.

If you are using a joy stick, check and see if the nuts and bolts are tight on the spool connections.

Logically, the curl has nothing to do with the lift. Curl has it's own spool, perhaps you are moving both spools at the same time with a sloppy joystick.

With the engine running, and

If your joystick has a boot , lift it up and shift the lever in only one direction and see if the other spool moves.

Last edited:
   / Hst problem after popping hyd line
The way I read it was the pump on the front of the motor acts like the primary pump which them goes to the HST pump. The both share the same fluid and go through the same oil cooler. The picking up the lifting arms is what threw me off I will make sure I don't see anything else moving in the joystick