HST problem in reverse?

/ HST problem in reverse? #11  
John,
at 300 hrs is this still under warranty?

Not sure of your mechanical and or electrical skills but a good service manual should show the diagnostic steps or procedures for trouble shooting the HST drive - control. (I have no clue how good or bad MF manuals are) There are two or three main styles of control. Smaller tractors typically direct mechanical control. Very simple to trouble shoot since linkage directly moves the swash plate for directional control. Usually seen on SCUT and CUT.

Another control type: hydro-mechanical where mechanical linkage from treadle pedal operates a control valve assembly that directs pilot pressure to the control piston for the swash plate. Pilot pressure comes from charge circuit. On these there are typically test ports where you take pressure readings to diagnose what is going on. Usually fairly straight forward diagnostic procedure.

Other control type: electro-hydraulic where a variable amperage is applied to a proportional coil on the HST control module for directional control. These have some form of variable signal from the treadle peddle that is input to some form of electronic controller which then outputs the milliamp signal to the coil. On these there could be test ports for monitoring control pressure but will usually also require multi-meter for checking various input and out put signals. I usually find this type of system more difficult to trouble shoot since there are more components to work your way through.

I know this all sound intimidating but with some mechanical knowledge and skill most shade tree mechanics can work there way through them.

/ HST problem in reverse?
John,
at 300 hrs is this still under warranty?

Not sure of your mechanical and or electrical skills but a good service manual should show the diagnostic steps or procedures for trouble shooting the HST drive - control. (I have no clue how good or bad MF manuals are) There are two or three main styles of control. Smaller tractors typically direct mechanical control. Very simple to trouble shoot since linkage directly moves the swash plate for directional control. Usually seen on SCUT and CUT.

Another control type: hydro-mechanical where mechanical linkage from treadle pedal operates a control valve assembly that directs pilot pressure to the control piston for the swash plate. Pilot pressure comes from charge circuit. On these there are typically test ports where you take pressure readings to diagnose what is going on. Usually fairly straight forward diagnostic procedure.

Other control type: electro-hydraulic where a variable amperage is applied to a proportional coil on the HST control module for directional control. These have some form of variable signal from the treadle peddle that is input to some form of electronic controller which then outputs the milliamp signal to the coil. On these there could be test ports for monitoring control pressure but will usually also require multi-meter for checking various input and out put signals. I usually find this type of system more difficult to trouble shoot since there are more components to work your way through.

I know this all sound intimidating but with some mechanical knowledge and skill most shade tree mechanics can work there way through them.
Wow. Thank you for the detailed response. I'm going to have to order a service manual so I can dig in to this more. I have a lot to learn but as with most things, I usually prefer to do the work myself - so your comments are very helpful.
John

What kind of tires do you have? I can imagine an aggressive ag tread feeling different going backward.
The tractor has the original R4 tires, loaded. This feels like something has changed.
Thanks.

Well its been awhile since I posted about this and I have had time to use the tractor in several different types of weather conditions. Very cold to very hot. I thought that I would share my findings in the hope it would help out someone else with an HST.

Here is what I discovered. The surging in reverse only happens when the HST is set to rabbit or turtle and I'm trying to move very slowly. So I'm barely touching the pedal. When I have the HST in SNAIL mode and use the pedal the same way; I have no problems with surging. My best guess is that the oil does not move efficiently in the HST when I'm trying to move very slowly in a higher range - in reverse.