Buying Advice HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ?

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #21  
Some HST pedals take more effort than others. Some ergonomics are better or worse. I'd test drive the HST and see how it works for you, and the gear model too of course.

The Branson HST cruise control is a simple electromagnet and a piece of plate welded to the pedal (under the floorboards where you can't see it). When you activate the switch the magnet activates and holds the plate and the pedal in place. If you're handy you might be able to fab something like that.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #22  
I made the decision because of 3 left knee surgeries. No more clutching . If I need to clutch, I'll get on the old yanmar:D

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #23  
I prefer HST and I have cruise. There are many other brands that do have HST w/cruise. I grew up on gear tractors and never thought I'd get HST until I tried and bought one in 2004. Now after 14 years of HST I wouldn't go back to gear.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #24  
Hi .. Just need some guidance. I'm soon buying a new Massey Ferguson 34 HP with loader. Trying to decide on Hydrostat or Gear Transmission. I'll be Brush Hogging about 15 Acres a few times a year and using a Tiller for a couple acres of food plots.. Most of the use will be for these two things , but will use the loader at times for different chores , including snow removal.. The tractor does not have a cruise control function for the HST so foot pedal will be used for the few hours of steady brush hogging. Any recommendations from you guys who own either kind of transmissions ?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rather than issue an opinion on HST vs gear, I would just suggest that you check out the LS tractors which I think maybe MF are built by LS in that size (I haven't been keeping up with the trend lately but LS once built MF, New Holland and Case tractors in that size). LS tractors will have lots more available goodies that are standard than all the LS built for other brands will have (does that make sense). I don't know why that when LS builds them for other branded sellers that they leave off lots of options, maybe it is at the request of the buyer or maybe it is just so they can sell them cheaper to other branded dealers..
Anyway, for the same size tractor in the LS models, you likely will have a cruise control.

By the way, I do love my Kubota HST tractor for doing anything that requires F/R. I wouldn't like it much for bush hogging due to having to hold the pedal down (no cruise)because I am always gradually letting up on it so I tend to slow a bit till I realize I am slowing then I stomp it down again and the cycle repeats.
I bush hog with my gear tractor and if I hit a tough spot, I just downshift on the go. No problem other than needing to clutch. I would say likely that for your uses, either transmission would work nicely but you have to weigh the costs vs the ease of working. Also don't forget that in addition to added purchase cost, the HST will require oil/filter changes more often than a gear.

Everyone had given some pretty good pros and cons of each type of transmission. No one here can evaluate your needs vs cost like you can so you have to decide for yourself if the additional cost are worth it for the added convenience of F/R on the fly shifting.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #25  
maybe i should have said unfamiliar with a clutch rather then not paying attention. i have seen it happen on more then one occasion so it DID compute for me in my decision to go hst.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #26  
Hst is just too slow . If you need to go down the road . It feels like your crawling

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #27  
What, no mention of being able / not able to operate individual foot brakes?

That's a classic.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #28  
I have a 29 year old hydrostatic lawn mower and it is terrific. Only maintainance is changing a filter every 4 hundred hours. Would never want to mow with a gear tractor. Same thing for my MX5100 mowing pasture and bush hogging. I have a produce business and use a 73 inch tiller on the HST MX5100. Wouldn't want a gear tractor for that either. Can change speed instantly with no problem. Loss of power? I have all the power I need or want. That is a weak excuse. Just get a more powerful tractor if that is your excuse. Great moving round bales too. Have had 3 gear tractors in the last 40 years and wouldn't want to go back. Great for loader work. If the whine bothers you get some earplugs. Not a problem for me. Don't notice it most of the time.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #29  
OP, you have 2 posts and both are "Hydro vs Gear". Your next thread should be "R1 or R4 tires", or maybe "What type of oil should I use?". :D
I'm just joking with you. these hydro vs gear threads always end up with strong input from both sides. IMO, if you have a lot of tight areas to maneuver and/or loader work, then Hydro makes more sense. I don't care for it for my uses (rotary cutting, tilling, cultivating, FEL work, towing trailers, dragging logs, etc). I like to run my tractors at various RPMs, sometimes putting along while cultivating or heading out to cut wood. Hydro's rely on high RPM for the pumps to work efficiently, and many times they have an annoying whine. Test drive one of each and do some maneuvers in the dealers lots. There's no right or wrong answer, and you should decide based on which one feels right to you.

/ HST vs Gear Transmission - which would you recommend on this tractor ? #30  
Another vote for HST;I have owned two Grand L's,my son has a straight gear L3000 DT and likes it.