HST vs. Gear

/ HST vs. Gear #1  

Diesel_Boy

Silver Member
i've read a lot of the pros and cons of hst vs. gear as far as choice of transmission, including intended uses. however, how do the two compare as far as cost of maintainence, and cost of repair should something break down in the tranny? is an HST something that is reliable and will go 30 years with no problems? thanks for any input.

/ HST vs. Gear #2  
HST is basically like having an automatic tranny in a car/truck.
They are more complex than gear so as with any complex piece of machinery it will cost more than the simple gear model in 30yrs of service.

/ HST vs. Gear #3  
Something else to look at... I know with Massy you "give up" around 1 1/2 hp at the PTO with a HST (that is coming from the spec book), I'm not sure about other companies.

I am very happy with my shuttle 8x8 trans and I saved around $1500.00 not getting the HST.

/ HST vs. Gear #4  
This is certainly a topic that gets beat to death. A HST is not like an automatic other then it uses a viscous coupling, after that the similarity ends. An automatic actually is much more like a manual gear transmission that shifts "automatically". HST is also very simple. A large pump that turns a hydraulic motor. Proven to be very reliable. A 30 year life span? The jury is still out on that. I have both and enjoy both. Maintainence on the HST will probably require one extra hydraulic filter to be changed as well as more frequent oil changes. For some great information, go to TractorSmart Enter the site and go to technical info. Look transmission types. They do a good job explaining things there. Both transmission types are proving to work quite well. How much you use it and abuse may have as much to do with your lifespan as anything.

/ HST vs. Gear #5  
Consider this. How good are you with riding the clutch in situations which you are required to slow down the tractor. Do you think you will do this often? Consider, you needs to carefully approach objects and terrain, such as going into brush with unknown contents, switching from forward to reverse in the case of loader work, getting implements on and off the 3PT and FEL making sure things line up just right? I can see price of one clutch job justifying the cost of Hydro not to mention the convience it would have bought you over the years and resale.
Re: resale, As a first time tractor buyer, I would be less worried buying a used tractor if it had Hydro vs Gear. Just like there are more people willing to buy Automatic tranny in cars then manual. Easier to sell? This I would think would help resale as more people are willing to buy a Hydro vs Gear.

Hope this helps.
-Alex

/ HST vs. Gear #6  
If you like Hydro, get it. If you like gears get them. Each person has their own preference and not one is better than the other overall. Now Hydro may be better for tilling where gears may be better for plowing. Hydro may be better for mowing while shuttle may be better for FEL work. I got the Hydro cause I hate shifting and I hate clutches. There is people out there that like the clutch and that is why they should get a clutch. As far as maintenance and repairs they both have their quirks. As said before a newbie may ride a clutch and he will end up with more repairs than he would with hydro over the life time. Get what you like and enjoy it.

murph

/ HST vs. Gear #7  
murph:
The agricultural might of this country was founded and built by people with gear transmissions and the ability to operate a clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob

/ HST vs. Gear #8  
<font color="blue">murph:
The agricultural might of this country was founded and built by people with gear transmissions and the ability to operate a clutch </font>

Murph, I had lasagna last night /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #9  
The HST in my MF-1030 is only 22 years old, I'll have to wait another eight years until I let you know that it is good for 30 years, but so far no problem whatsoever. In the meantime, you might want to get your blood pressure, pulse, cholesterol, SGOT, SGPT, neutrophils, glucose, eyesight, and about 150 other parameters in your body checked to make sure you'll be here thirty years from now to find out! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #10  
i have 2 gear tractors, a 52 8N and a JD 5103. I fell both are great but if your on a budget like I am, the gear tractors are usually cheaper. I know people with both and both have their pros and cons. Get whatever you are most comfortable with. Definetely look at both extensively.