HST vs. Shuttle shift

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #1  

scratchpad

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 2705E
What exactly is the difference internally? I know the forward/reverse pedal for the HST and shuttle fwd/reverse is on the lever with a foot clutch. I tried doing a search but didnt come up with anything. Whats the advantages or disadvantages to either? Whether it be longevity or otherwise. Is it just a preferance of controls and the type of work one will be doing? I personally like a manual transmission but these others have me curious.

After starting this thread i scrolled down and saw "similar threads"

Last edited:
   / HST vs. Shuttle shift #2  
What exactly is the difference internally? I know the forward/reverse pedal for the HST and shuttle fwd/reverse is on the lever with a foot clutch. I tried doing a search but didnt come up with anything. Whats the advantages or disadvantages to either? Whether it be longevity or otherwise. Is it just a preferance of controls and the type of work one will be doing? I personally like a manual transmission but these others have me curious.

After starting this thread i scrolled down and saw "similar threads"

HST uses oil to drive the wheels. Think of an automatic transmission in a car. Usually one pedal to go forward, one for reverse. The harder you push it, the faster it goes.

Shuttle shift is a manual transmission with an added feature - an automatic clutch mechanism so you dont have to put the clutch in when changing directions. You control your speed with either a foot or hand throttle and gear selected.

It comes down to personal preference. Ive had both and now prefer the HST on my M59 because I get better fine tuning with infinitely variable speed control. Perfect for loader and finishing work. What I miss on the M59 is cruise control, so bush hogging was easier for straight aways on the shuttle shift, but HST is better when I need to change ground speed around obstacles without losing PTO RPM. I can do all my mowing in high gear and just adjust my ground speed with a touch of the pedal.

Smaller HST machines might have less power going to drive the wheels than SS, but On the M59 power delivery has never been an issue.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift
HST uses oil to drive the wheels. Think of an automatic transmission in a car. Usually one pedal to go forward, one for reverse. The harder you push it, the faster it goes.

Shuttle shift is a manual transmission with an added feature - an automatic clutch mechanism so you dont have to put the clutch in when changing directions. You control your speed with either a foot or hand throttle and gear selected.

It comes down to personal preference. Ive had both and now prefer the HST on my M59 because I get better fine tuning with infinitely variable speed control. Perfect for loader and finishing work. What I miss on the M59 is cruise control, so bush hogging was easier for straight aways on the shuttle shift, but HST is better when I need to change ground speed around obstacles without losing PTO RPM. I can do all my mowing in high gear and just adjust my ground speed with a touch of the pedal.

Smaller HST machines might have less power going to drive the wheels than SS, but On the M59 power delivery has never been an issue.

perfect, Thanks :thumbsup:

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #4  
perfect, Thanks :thumbsup:

mikester's reply was not exactly perfect. There are 2 types of shuttle shifts. Hyd type which he mentioned but there's also a synchronized type that one must depress traction clutch control pedal to shift from fwd to rev or vice-verse. I once owned a Kubota M4900 with sync-shuttle that required having the reverser replaced due to synchronizer failure & it locked in reverse.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #6  
There are 2 types of shuttle shifts. Hyd type which he mentioned but there's also a synchronized type that one must depress traction clutch control pedal to shift from fwd to rev or vice-verse.
Correct.
I have a synchronized shuttle. It requires the clutch to forward/reverse.
Hydraulic shuttles, power reversers, glide shifts generally can forward/reverse without depressing the clutch.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #7  
HST's do have cruise control. Depending on if you have electronic HST or older manual HST will depend on how it works. My JD with eHST has automotive style cruise control. It also has load match, so whn you are brush hogging or whatever, it will maintain RPM's and reduce speed to keep the power and speed to the PTO.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #8  
There are many types of shuttle transmissions;
older style non-synchronized forward reverse lever style,
newer synchronized forward reverse lever style,
that lever can be down on the floor over on the side or under the steering wheel usually on the left side.

I have no knowledge of Glide shifts generally can forward/reverse without depressing the clutch.

Some power reversers will actuate a clutch.

Most power shuttles do not have a conventional clutch, they will have a forward and a reverse wet clutch packs that are electrically controlled.
If they have a clutch pedal it is usually a variable resistor, mounted to a regular looking pedal.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #9  
There are many types of shuttle transmissions;
older style non-synchronized forward reverse lever style,
newer synchronized forward reverse lever style,
that lever can be down on the floor over on the side or under the steering wheel usually on the left side.

I have no knowledge of Glide shifts generally can forward/reverse without depressing the clutch.

Some power reversers will actuate a clutch.

Most power shuttles do not have a conventional clutch, they will have a forward and a reverse wet clutch packs that are electrically controlled.
If they have a clutch pedal it is usually a variable resistor, mounted to a regular looking pedal.

May I ask your definition of the word "MANY"?? Sounds to me that most type shuttle shifts have been covered in this thread. My Kubota M7040 hyd shuttle control has no electrical connections except for neutral start switch because it's cable controlled. I think clutch pedal is mechanically connected to hyd valve but Ill have to check tech manual to be sure. I also have no knowledge of Glide-shift.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #10  
Some of the larger new tractors are computer controlled power shift with a shuttle command that will actually allow you to use different gears for the forward and reverse,
such as come into a load in 8th shift down to 3 to load reverse into say 10th to back out of your load area.

The older Puma 125 at the farm will allow you to set up different gears for forward and reverse, and if you use the foot pedal "clutch" and it doesn't like your selected gear it will use a lower one to get rolling then shift up to the one you had previously selected.

And we can't forget the IVT or CVT's with shuttles.