HST whine on larger tractors...

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #12  
Little babies just whine more...fact of life!:laughing:

By the way, I have a little baby! (BX24)

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #13  
I do not notice a whine with my L3940. But, my wife says I am very good at tunning her or people out when I do not want to listen! Philip.

Quoted for truth, I have seen it in person!

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #14  
L5030, whines in high, in med when going up steep hill, not at all in low.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #15  
Almost new (27 hrs) L3800, It is my only complaint. It is loud! I mow in mid range and it is almost painful after a while. I was hoping it would quiet down as I put some hours on it.

Oh well, I like it too much to whine about the whine, FM earmuffs anyone?

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #16  
L5030, whines in high, in med when going up steep hill, not at all in low.

Same here for my L4610. Is it bad for it to whine? I always think I'm straining something when I hear that?
I notice it more now though after getting my tires filled, obviously because I'm hauling more weight.

Soooooo, is it bad to hear that whine?

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #17  
My L3940:

Low range: No whine under any condition that I can remember

Medium range: A little whine, mostly when pulling hard or when the RPM are too low

High range: Can be a lot of whine, mostly when pulling hard or when the RPM are too low

The most whine is a combo of low RPM, high range & pulling hard.

I travel mine 4 miles one-way to my property at ~13 mph (high range of course) much of it on pavement & don't remember hearing any whine once it's up to speed (that 13 mph). On its way up to 13 there can be some whine, though, espcially starting from zero.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #18  
My L2800 is noisy as ****, I thought all hst were that way at least that's what the dealer said and I always put on earmuffs if I am gonna be on it very long.
I bought a used L48 last winter and it is much quieter with almost no hst noise at all, go figure.
Rick

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #19  
Guys with loud hst trannys should clean out there tranny coolers. Loud whine is a simptom of fluid thats getting too hot. It happened to me a couple months ago, almost burnt up the hydro on my B2400. Blew out the cooler and radiator with water, made all the difference.I still have tranny whine, just not that loud as it was.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #20  
My L3940: .....snip.....
The most whine is a combo of low RPM, high range & pulling hard.
........snip......4 miles one-way to my property at ~13 mph (high range of course) much of it on pavement & don't remember hearing any whine once it's up to speed (that 13 mph). On its way up to 13 there can be some whine, though, espcially starting from zero.

Thanks, beppinton. Your description is so well said put that I found myself nodding my head and thinking, "Yes, yes...that's just the way it is on our M59 TLB".

Low RPM, and high load make for a louder whine. In low range it doesn't seem to whine at all, even when doing heavy pushing or pulling.
When I'm on the road the whine will diminish as speed picks up. It will start to whine again when I come to a little bit of a hill that begins to slow it down.

In fact, I'm likely to notice the increase in the whine before I become aware of the decrease in the engine speed. That also goes for the whine becoming louder when I'm carrying a bucketfull of dirt somewhere and need to go up a slight incline.

Again, it's the increase in whine rather than a decrease in the engine speed that gives me my signal to downshift or rev up. That makes me wonder how many of us are doing the same thing? Has anyone else gotten into the habit of shifting by whine instead of by rpm?

Someone said that they were told this is a normal sound for hydrostats. Maybe so, but I work next to Case 580s and also drove a JD110 TLB for awhile - both have HST and they don't whine. That said, I don't know of any instance where the Kubota whine has developed into a problem. Do you?
rScotty