HST Wine, Not any more

/ HST Wine, Not any more #101  
What if you filled with foam in "lifts"? Fill the bottom, then let it cure and add 4-6" at a time on each side until you hit the top?

Aaron Z

/ HST Wine, Not any more #102  
What if you filled with foam in "lifts"? Fill the bottom, then let it cure and add 4-6" at a time on each side until you hit the top?

Aaron Z

That idea has some merit. If you put a small tube of pvc up from the bottom, you could still add wires any time (at least up to the curve). But what you may discover is that if you filled in like 12 inches on each side, you don't need any more; the resonance would be dampened already. OK, maybe 12 didn't do it, but 18 would...

/ HST Wine, Not any more #103  
That idea has some merit. If you put a small tube of pvc up from the bottom, you could still add wires any time (at least up to the curve). But what you may discover is that if you filled in like 12 inches on each side, you don't need any more; the resonance would be dampened already. OK, maybe 12 didn't do it, but 18 would...

What if you took a piece of material (lets say plastic) and cut it to match the ID of the rops, put a piece of conduit through it and pushed that down to just before the curve (I am thinking the belled end of a PVC conduit on the "top" or curve side to keep it in place)?

Then it would allow you to leave the top/curve area unfilled and give you a conduit to that area. It would fill the sides which is where the resonance probably comes from.

Aaron Z

/ HST Wine, Not any more #104  
Sand is used in audio to fill the hollows of some speaker stands. I would think that you would not need to fill the entire ROPS but just the lower section. This might be enough to change the resonance frequency and make a difference.

On another note: If the spray can stuff does not finish curing only in the center and the outside is a skin...what is the problem? The skin will protect the metal right? Who cares if it has a liquid center?

Just my rambling...

/ HST Wine, Not any more #105  
ryan08 said:
Sand is used in audio to fill the hollows of some speaker stands. I would think that you would not need to fill the entire ROPS but just the lower section. This might be enough to change the resonance frequency and make a difference.

the problem with sand in a metal tube, which causes condensation when exposed to changing temperatures. Freezing and thawing and then rust unless its a good quality stainless.

/ HST Wine, Not any more #106  
the problem with sand in a metal tube, which causes condensation when exposed to changing temperatures. Freezing and thawing and then rust unless its a good quality stainless.

How about a granular desiccant, then weld the hole back up and seal the cavity. Sounds like an expensive proposition though.

I'm back to the anti-freeze or something similar with corrosion inhibitors in it.

Ian

/ HST Wine, Not any more #107  
Haywire said:
How about a granular desiccant, then weld the hole back up and seal the cavity. Sounds like an expensive proposition though.

I'm back to the anti-freeze or something similar with corrosion inhibitors in it.

Ian

I still think fishing 1 or 2 runs of 3/8 or 1/2 nylon brided rope is all that would be needed to damp the resonance - and no worries about leaks, moisture or future fishing desires in the tube.

/ HST Wine, Not any more #108  
Well I added the 1/8" rubber gasket. Can't hear a difference.

Ian

/ HST Wine, Not any more #109  
Haywire said:
Well I added the 1/8" rubber gasket. Can't hear a difference.

Ian

Percentages of 1/8 inch compared to tube size is too small. If you are using 1/8 inch, you'll need 4 to equal the impact of 3/8th, or 6 of them to equal 1/2 inch.

/ HST Wine, Not any more #110  
AxleHub said:
Percentages of 1/8 inch compared to tube size is too small. If you are using 1/8 inch, you'll need 4 to equal the impact of 3/8th, or 6 of them to equal 1/2 inch.

In re-reading the original message I may have errored in my reply to it. If you mean you placed a layer of 1/8 inch of rubber between the rops bar and the tractor, you haven't effected the "tuning fork effect".
IMO it has to be either IN or AROUND the rops bar. Sorry if I misunderstood.