Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #81  
Please see new pictures for this post. The left picture shows the metal sleeve that is part of the seal assembly. The complete seal is shown on the right.
The second picture shows the rubber coated plug from the bottom of the spindle. The plug has a hole drilled into it and then a 5/16 X 1 1/4 sheet metal screw is installed to push the plug out, this ruins the plug but gets it out quickly. Cheers, this is on a MF 1528 tractor.

Attachments

• F13155D1-A3B1-4B44-BCB5-021B97FF7D69.jpeg
    F13155D1-A3B1-4B44-BCB5-021B97FF7D69.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
  • 8DEAFC54-3667-47EF-BC5E-FA65E03E6302.jpeg
    8DEAFC54-3667-47EF-BC5E-FA65E03E6302.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
   / Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos
Please see new pictures for this post. The left picture shows the metal sleeve that is part of the seal assembly. The complete seal is shown on the right.
The second picture shows the rubber coated plug from the bottom of the spindle. The plug has a hole drilled into it and then a 5/16 X 1 1/4 sheet metal screw is installed to push the plug out, this ruins the plug but gets it out quickly. Cheers, this is on a MF 1528 tractor.
Thanks Torch... The photos I am sure will help people out to understand the type of seal/what it should look like. Not sure why I never took a photo of the new seal.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #83  
Hey guys, I am unclear on how you separate the outer spindle and hub from the inner part on the axle. I don't see any bolts.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #84  
UPDATE FOR 1635 AND NEWER
I followed the excellent directions on taking the axle apart but got to the step of sliding the housing off of the fixed axle. After repeated attempts using a pry bar i tried to get the new seal apart which I ended up damaging, and then cutting apart . If your tractor calls for a 6240892M93, this is a two piece seal which doesn't come apart. The inner piece has a rubber liner that replaces the "speedy sleeve" but it must slide off of the axle to remove the housing.

For anyone that replaced this seal, how did you get the housing off the axle? Do you need a really big gear puller?

20230709_181601.jpg

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #85  
It's been a month since I failed to replace the axle seal on my 1635, but since I put the axle back together and re-filled the oil, no leak!

There must have been something under a lip of the seal, the process of draining the oil and removing the steering linkages made it possible to rotate the axle left to right quickly which with the oil removed, must have displaced the contamination that was causing the leak. I had previously tried lifting the front in the air with the loader and turning left to right repeatedly hoping it was contamination without success. Anyway no more oil puddles. I guess it falls in the category of being lucky, rather that good.:)

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #86  
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I originally saw this post almost 15 years ago and made a mental note of it. Now with my 1533 at 15 years and 350 hrs I need to get prepped to change out the seals.

The photos and parts are put into the attached pdf for use and reference. If anyone knows the current part numbers for the seals and plug, post them and I can incorporate.

Attachments

• 1533 Axle Seal Replacement.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
   / Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #87  
thank you