Hughesnet Problems

/ Hughesnet Problems #11  
I had tons of problems - ended up doing Better Business Bureau complains and that got them to fix the problems. If I could have cable or DSL I would do it tomorrow!
Good luck

/ Hughesnet Problems
This is the first real problems I've had with Hughes. It's been slower than normal occasionally but that was usually around 6-7pm when lots of people are home and on the computer. Naturally the first problem I have is a real blue ribbon winner. If they can get it fixed in a few days I'll consider staying with them, otherwise I'll check with Verizon or ATT about wireless.

/ Hughesnet Problems #13  
I'm one of those who had Hughes for awhile and had nothing but problems. They tried different satalites, new modems, new cables, and a new dish. Everything would work great for awhile, then it wouldn't. The parts are all remanufactured, and the last time they replaced my radio transmitter, it took an extra week because the ones he had in his truck didn't work. From what I was told, he always brought extras because it was so common to have bad parts.

I'm on Virizon and love how much nicer it is. No matter the weather, it works. I've never had to have it fixed, or call tech support once we figured out what drivers I needed on my first day. Windows 7 had some conflicts with the way it came out of the box. Virizon was great at walking me through the process!!!

The big drawback is that you are limited to 5 gigs of download a month. If I don't watch any video's, I use about 4 gigs a month. I'm on every day, and usually all evening. If I go on Youtube or watch videos from facebook, then I sometimes go over my limit. The most it's ever cost me is an extra $20. For reliable, always working service, that's not too big of a deal.

Since you are even closer to I-20 then I am, I would think you would get fantastic coverage.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Hughesnet Problems #14  
I'm on Virizon and love how much nicer it is. No matter the weather, it works. I've never had to have it fixed, or call tech support once we figured out what drivers I needed on my first day. Windows 7 had some conflicts with the way it came out of the box. Virizon was great at walking me through the process!!!

The big drawback is that you are limited to 5 gigs of download a month. If I don't watch any video's, I use about 4 gigs a month. I'm on every day, and usually all evening. If I go on Youtube or watch videos from facebook, then I sometimes go over my limit. The most it's ever cost me is an extra $20. For reliable, always working service, that's not too big of a deal.

It used to be a drawback; They now offer a (relatively ;) ) reasonably priced 10gb plan that also has a reduced overage charge ($10/gig instead of .05¢/meg). I made the switch last month & it looks like I'll have no trouble staying under the 10gig limit, where I was constantly paying for extra bandwidth on the 5gig plan.

/ Hughesnet Problems #15  
Verizon is now advertising their 4G LTE coming in December. This will be a lot faster than current speeds, but will require new 4G devices. I suspect that they will get the Iphone, since now verizon and ATT will both have LTE.

/ Hughesnet Problems #16  
Ditto to others. My experience "Hughesnet" = "Problems" :confused2:

I'm just over 5 miles from a Verizon tower, slightly over a hill. I got a Verizon modem with an external antenna jack and put up a parabolic dish antenna for Verizon (3gstore.com evdoforums.com) and have had smooth sailing and excellent internet service for over 2 years. :thumbsup:

/ Hughesnet Problems
Three weeks now without internet at home. Tech Support says any time now, but they've been saying that from week one. I'm giving it a few more days then I'll be checking in at Verizon. Even if I get service back very soon I'm sure I'll be switching.

/ Hughesnet Problems #18  
What are the odds they don't make you pay for your service for all those weeks you've been down?

Eddie

/ Hughesnet Problems
The Advanced Tech I talked to said we would be "compensated" for our lost time. I'll believe it when I see it. I talked to my installer today and he said it's the modem, pure and simple, but he has to have a work order from Hughes before he can replace it. He's coming by Monday to try another computer with my modem to make sure that's what it is.

/ Hughesnet Problems #20  
I called hughes the other day about upgrading my plan to higher bandwidth, due to getting FAP's all the time. The indian I talked to said I had to upgrade to a new modem, with a new 2 yr agreement. I know this isn't true, since I used to have higher bandwidth plan with my modem. I have verizon mifi and hughesnet, so I now just use verizon when I get FAP'd.