Hurricane cleanup?

/ Hurricane cleanup? #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
If this big hurricane coming into Florida does make it to the Carolina's I have a friend I could stay with to do some contracting. That is if he is still there. I am not set up with fema and have no desire. My buddy could put the feelers out for work before I got there. I would be take a tractor with a grapple and bucket. Have any of you done it?

/ Hurricane cleanup? #2  
I work for a municipality and do storm cleanup. We recently had a microcell blow thru and I was running equipment and mobile repair on other crews equipment during the cleanup. It is hard on equipment working on mostly asphalt and very time consuming. I had 160 hr on the clock in 2 weeks cleaning up the city I work for along with contractors hired by the city. That was just clearing the streets and right of ways 10 ft back from the street.

/ Hurricane cleanup?
We have never had anything like that here. I always hear about the guys that went to the storm and did well. I would be the one who didn't. Lots to look at here.

/ Hurricane cleanup? #4  
If this big hurricane coming into Florida does make it to the Carolina's I have a friend I could stay with to do some contracting. That is if he is still there. I am not set up with fema and have no desire. My buddy could put the feelers out for work before I got there. I would be take a tractor with a grapple and bucket. Have any of you done it?

Are you licensed and insured, with workman's comp, etc ? Carolina's are tough on business regulations. Also, I wouldn't be running around with NY plates and cell #. Things to think about.

/ Hurricane cleanup?
Are you licensed and insured, with workman's comp, etc ? Carolina's are tough on business regulations. Also, I wouldn't be running around with NY plates and cell #. Things to think about.

Licensed and insured

/ Hurricane cleanup? #6  
as one in the path, thankfully with a grapple and rear rake and lots of chain saws, I think your idea is good if you can keep your operating costs down. Take lots of copies of your certificates of insurance with you. Then how do you get the business? Drive around? Will your friend have the contacts. I would think a suburban setting would be best; country people fix their own, city the government does it. Somewhere in the middle should be fertile ground if a lot of trees get knocked down.
And take lots of spare chain saw chains, supplies. They will sell it out quickly.

/ Hurricane cleanup? #7  
Lodging will also be an issue unless your buddy is housing you.

Finding fuel and supplies will be tough also.

/ Hurricane cleanup? #8  
After Hurricane Ike we had guys coming around from all over the US, bring mostly rented equipment, sleeping in a rented travel trailer and making PILES of cash. Enough cash to buy their own equipment in a short period of time. Hurricane chasing is a lucrative business.

I know a lot of residents frown upon the chasers, but the truth is, in time of need, they're a sight for sore eyes. Very Welcome. Not all chasers gouge customers either. Yeah, I did have some stop by offering to move a large oak tree off of my house for a measly grand. Yep - a thousand dollars for a few minutes of work. And no, that did not include cutting it up and hauling it off - that was to pick it up from leaning on the house to sitting it down in the yard. Unscrupulous for sure, especially knowing the dire straights the residents were in for a thousand other emergency problems. Those kind of guy I strongly dislike, and quickly told them to move on - I wasn't going to be their 'huckleberry'.

So, I say pack up and go. Take your own supplies with you, and lots of them. You'll be on your own pretty much, but you can sock away a very nice nest egg in a short period of time.

/ Hurricane cleanup? #10  
Lodging will also be an issue unless your buddy is housing you.

Finding fuel and supplies will be tough also.

That was the case when I worked the coast after katrina.. Figure the first week maybe 2 as its like a camping trip in the wilderness and take all the supplies you will need.
My biggest tip woul dbe to take a small generator and microwave with you. also dont expect to be using a debit or credit card since no power and phone lines.. take lots of 1's and 5 and 10's .. and a lot of change to be able to pay exact cash.
Also job boxes locked and chained to keep your stuff from walking off.