Hurricane Michael

/ Hurricane Michael #61  
Jmc, they have food in most areas. The Red Cross is feeding one meal per day. Some fire stations and most churches are providing other meals. FEMA and National guard is providing MREs to anyone needing them.

They have plenty of water in most cases. I brought about 1500 bottles of water and 10 gallon jugs. On the beach they really did not want to take it because they had so much. I have several cases to some fellow ham radio operators that needed water. A few cases to workers. The rest we delivered to a rural fire station who was so excited to get it.

I felt so bad for those guys because most of the help went to the more populated areas. I gave them all the fuel I had left, my bar oil and anything else we had in the truck. They were so thankful the Chief gave my wife and I Volunteer Firemen t-shirts. He also gave us some BBQ that they had cooked. I did not have the heart to tell him we were going to a friends house for dinner and I wanted to make sure I got that meal! ( She is Mennonite and everything thing is home made goodness!):)

We gave the BBQ to some workers down the road that were really hungry and so thankful to get food!

No lodging there at all. We slept in my inclosed trailer while the workers are sleeping in their trucks.

Dave, My FIL did not evacuate and would not come home with us. He does not have power, but I did get a cell phone working for him so we can check on him. He is 89, I thought 84 before so my other post about his age is incorrect.

He gets around on his own and can still drive. I told my wife we have to let him stay because he will not be happy anywhere else. All his memories of her mom are in that trailer and he is not about to leave that behind. Even if he dies during this, it's what he wants and I have to respect that!

Sea2summit, any help anyone wants to give I am sure will be appreciated. I hope to catch up on some funds and go back myself. I would suggest finding rural areas and starting with the local fire stations.

The one we stopped at served more than 100 people Wednesday. Supplies are weak in these communities.

Please forgive any grammar or typos as I am not going to review this post! ��

/ Hurricane Michael #62  
Also I should point out I saw a lot of cotton down along the way. Unfortunately it looked like great crops this year and those farmers will get very little if any out of the fields. All I saw already had been defoliated so it's not going to stand back up.

Lots of tree farms as well lost everything. So many people not only lost property but their income as well!

/ Hurricane Michael #63  
K5, I’m not in a position to help until December but please keep me in mind.

/ Hurricane Michael #64  
K5, I知 not in a position to help until December but please keep me in mind.

/ Hurricane Michael #65  
Thanks for the update K5. I'm sure your FIL appreciated the help, and clearly wants to stay.

Food, shelter, clothing come first.... to your point, some people will have challenging months and years ahead getting back close to normal.

Rgds, D.

/ Hurricane Michael #66  
K5, that was a very generous trip. There's always a lot of news coverage but not much about what out-of-towners endure to help out.

/ Hurricane Michael #67  
'Cane strangeness...

I mentioned early that we lost three large trees that came down after the storm had passed. I was out checking on the power outage and to see if we could get out of our road and when I returned three trees had fallen. Family heard the fall and they are out of the way so no big deal. Two went on one side of the deer stand and one went the other side. :shocked::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Going to be some good firewood in those trees.

Yesterday, driving up our road, I noticed another big oak was down. :rolleyes: It had to have fallen that day. :confused3: I don't think there was any wind to speak of yesterday but that tree came on down. It is out of the way but it is kinda hung up on other trees. Not too bad so it eventually should fall completely. The tree was leaning since Fran and Michael gave it just enough push to fall down a week later. Just weird it that it managed to stay up for a week.

Most of the older hardwood trees on our place lean to the south due to Fran...

Later,
Dan

/ Hurricane Michael #68  
Dan, soggy ground might have something to do with it. I lost several large trees up here from wet, heavy snow after the spring thaw. Not much wind either.