husky 350

/ husky 350 #11  
The early 350's didn't have the muffler problems that the newer ones have, I have compared both the early (i.e. late 90's & early 00's) style cases to the newer ones and the reinforcing is different, the older composite cases seem to be sturdier & have more reinforcing. That said, the newer ones are notorious for having the mufflers come loose and if not caught in time will burn a hole in the oil tank, not to mention ruining the piston and scoring the cylinder. This is the same on the 2150 Jonsereds too (same saw, different badging), so much so that there is a replacement muffler available which provides for a third mounting point to try and reduce the vibration problem that leads to the loosening of the muffler. I have found that the higher RPM the newer saws run the more prone to the loosening, of course if you don't tune them to the rated speed you have even less power, so either way you loose. That being said, running a 346 top end on a 350 will only add insult to injury to and already bad situation, as the 346 is tuned to run a much higher RPM range.

As far as the 455 for a replacement of the 55, what a joke! The 455 is 2 lbs. heavier and that is even with the platic case, not to mention having terrible balance. The original 50's, 51's & 55's (all magnesium cased) were great saws, I wouldn't take a 455 if it was given to me. I guess this is called progress by some.

One thing that does stand out to me is the earlier 350's and the 50-55's used the mahle cylinders and the newer ones do not.......whoops, could that be the problem?

But no, not all of the new saws in the husqvarna line-up are just re-badged poulans.